The Brookside Neighborhood is a metropolitan hub of beautiful homes, unique shops, trendy restaurants, and cultural attractions. Home to some of Kansas City’s hippest residents and urban professionals, Brookside was the this city's first suburban shopping area. Brookside now has over 70 proprietors and offices which have elegantly preserved the original architecture and kept the neighborhood appeal.
Brookside is located just a few short blocks South of the Country Club Plaza. The residential neighborhood begins at 51st and Wornall Road. The retail area is further South and is bounded by Wornall Road on the West, Meyer Boulevard to the South, 61st Terrace to the North, and Main Street to the East.
From chic coffeehouses, neighborhood joints and high-end eateries, Brookside offers something for everyone. In the mood for some serious java? KC Coffee Man Danny O’Neill recently introduced Brookside’s newest resident, The Roasterie Café (223 Brookside Blvd.), with home roasted beans, hip décor, and room to get your caffeine fix—it’s no wonder this place is quickly becoming a neighborhood fave. He’s even got free wi-fi access which is great for students, business folk and freelancers.
Places to Eat
Try Jalapeño’s Mexican Restaurant (6318 Brookside Plaza), where the nachos are served spicy and are partnered with some of the biggest margaritas in town. Looking for something a little fancy? Check out Carmen’s Café (6305 Brookside Plaza), a quaint Italian bistro that has been a Brookside staple for years.
Need an extraordinary gift or specialty item? You won’t have to look far to find exactly what you are looking for. Stuff (316 W. 63rd), a home, gift and fine art retailer offers an eclectic array of “stuff,” with works from over 60 artisans from around the world. World's Window (332 W. 63rd) an ethnic clothing and jewelry shop has items from Kansas City and all over the globe. Also try Latin American Imports (324 W. 63rd), a handcrafted retail store with Latin Flair.
Brookside is known for its laid-back bar scene that is less trendy and more inviting than the Plaza. The Brooksider Bar & Grill (6330 Brookside Plaza), is most famous for being the Friday night starting and ending place. Get there early, the place is packed from Happy Hour til close. Also, try Charlie Hoopers Bar & Grill (12 W.63rd.), a Wednesday night favorite (who can beat their famed Import Night?), this Brookside establishment has great food and is a Kansas City legend.
- Brookside Art Fair-- This nationally recognized Art Fair is proudly in its 21st year. It features over 185 local, national and international artists. Located between 63rd and Brookside between State Line and Main. It has over 80,000 plus in attendance.
- Annual St. Patrick Warm-up Parade. Saturday before St. Pat's. A little tamer and family-friendly than its big-city counterpart, the Warm Up Parade starts at 65th and Wornall and ends up at Brookside Boulevard.
Brookside Neighborhood Essentials
- Zip Code: 64113
- Total Population: 11,371
- Average Household Size: 2.38
- Average Age: 39.6
- Median Home Value: $201,700
- Percentage of High School Graduates: 99.6
- Percentage of those with Bachelor’s Degrees: 75.7
- Median Household Income: $97,746
- Cosentino's Price Chopper (6327 Brookside Plaza). Neighborhood grocer that offers a full-service deli and a fantastic wine selection.
- Bella Napoli (6629 Brookside Blvd.). A great Italian market that features everything Italian—try an authentic panini or espresso.
- Cosentino's Market (14 W. 62nd Terr.). Market specializing in gourmet cuisine, with excellent seafood and bakery.
- Bank Midwest, 6249 Brookside Blvd.
- Bank of America, 115 W. 63rd St.
- Commerce Bank, 6336 Brookside Plaza
- CVS Pharmacy, 6244 Brookside Blvd.
- New Dime Store , 314 W. 63rd St.
- Rydell Tailor Shop, 6231 Brookside Blvd.
- Pride Cleaners Brookside, 6240 Main St.
- U.S. Post Office, 108 W. 63rd St
- Mail Packages Etc., 6300 Main St.
- The UPS Store , 6320 Brookside Plaza
- Kansas City, Missouri Police Department, 1125 Locust St.
- Académie Lafayette School, 6903 Oak St.
- Border Star Montessori School, 6321 Wornall Rd.
- Calvary Lutheran School, 7500 Oak St.
- St. Elizabeth School, 14 W. 75th St.
- St. Peter's School, 6400 Charlotte St.
- Visitation School, 5134 Baltimore Ave.