Brookside Gardens is a 50-acre award winning garden located within Wheaton Regional Park in Wheaton, Maryland. The gardens include a variety of horticultural displays including an aquatic garden, azalea garden, butterfly garden, rose garden, children's garden, formal garden, fragrance garden, Japanese style garden and trial garden. Indoor facilities include two glass-covered conservatories that display a large tropical plant collection and special exhibits that rotate throughout the year. The Visitors Center has a horticultural reference library and a gift shop.
A variety of educational programs are available for adults and children. Adult programs include lectures, guided walks, bus trips, and workshops. Children’s programs include story times, hands-on activities, educational games, classes and summer camps. Brookside Gardens offer a beautiful setting for weddings, private receptions and corporate retreats. From April through October, groups as large as 110 can enjoy the colorful gardens and the conservatories can be rented for private events throughout the year.
Seasonal Events at Brookside Gardens
May through September, visitors marvel over “Wings of Fancy,” the live butterfly exhibit where butterflies fly free in the south conservatory. Admission is $8 per adult and $5 for children ages 3-12. (age 3 and under are free) Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
A twilight concert series is held in the Gude Garden every Tuesday evening from 6:30-8:00pm throughout the month of June. (rain location: Visitors Center). All concerts are free of charge; no registration is required. Bring a chair or blanket.
During the holiday season, visitors enjoy the Garden of Lights at Brookside Gardens, an illuminated outdoor winter garden walk that includes a whimsical monster, an enchanting persimmon tree, a walk through kaleidoscope caterpillar, and more.
The Garden Railway Exhibit in the South Conservatory, provided by the Washington, Virginia and Maryland Garden Railway Society, features miniature trains and trollies amidst a landscape of town and country scenes with past one-of-a-kind models of the Brookside Gardens Conservatories, the Dentzel Carousel and the Chautauqua Tower of Glen Echo Park. Visitors can also sip hot chocolate and listen to nightly musical performances.
Registration for activities, classes and events at Brookside Gardens is available online through the ActiveMONTGOMERY System.
Wheaton Regional Park, 1800 Glenallan Ave. Wheaton Maryland (301) 962-1400
- Grounds: open every day of the year from sunrise to sunset.
- Conservatories: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Open Thanksgiving and Jan. 1)
- Visitors Center: 9am to 5pm (Closed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Presidents’ Day)
- Gift Shop: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and 12 to 4 p.m. on Sundays. During the month of February, the gift shop is closed Monday – Thursday. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday & Saturday and 12 to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- Library: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, and during the Master Gardeners Plant Clinic hours. (Closed holidays)
- Master Gardener Plant Clinics: Year round; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Wednesday & Thursday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. from May to October. (located in the Library)
Admission is free. A fee is charged for some special programs such as the Garden of Lights and the 'Wings of Fancy' Butterfly Exhibit.
Brookside Gardens is a Montgomery County Park operated and maintained by the Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission.
Official Website: www.montgomeryparks.org/brookside