Seeing a Broadway show is a tremendously popular thing to do when you visit New York City, but tickets to see these world-class shows can be quite expensive. If you're looking to save money and still enjoy an amazing Broadway Show, here's our FAQ of helpful information to get you started.
How Much Can You Save?
- With Broadway ticket prices averaging over $100 each, substantial savings are available through various Broadway discount ticket resources.
- Broadway discount tickets purchased at a TKTS Booth are typically 25-50% off full price.
- Standing Room Only and Rush Broadway discount tickets will cost approximately $25-35.
- Broadway discount tickets purchased through Broadway discount ticket newsletters and websites are typically 25-50% off full price.
Discounted Tickets Before the Trip to New York City
Your best bet is to check out Broadway discount ticket newsletters and websites -- these sites offer discounts on advance sales for many Broadway shows.
You should also check the individual websites for Broadway shows that you're interested in seeing -- they often have email newsletters and special offers available. You can also follow them on Twitter or like them on Facebook to see what sort of special offers they might have available.
Same-Day Discount Tickets
There are three TKTS Booths: two in Manhattan (one in Times Square and another downtown near the South Street Seaport) and one in Brooklyn offering discount Broadway tickets. Do note: Matinee tickets are available the day before at the downtown and Brooklyn locations, but same-day tickets are available at the Times Square booth.
Standing Room Only (SRO) and Rush Tickets are available the same day of a performance, typically for around $35 at the box office. Some of these are distributed by lottery, so keep in mind that this is a bit of a "try your luck" type of option. Many productions are also offering online ticket lotteries now, so you can attempt to get discount tickets without having to wait in long lines or travel to the city only to end up disappointed. That said, even the online lotteries are for same-day tickets, so you'll have to be prepared to make the trip to NYC on short notice if you don't live here.
- Many Rush Tickets are available only for students with ID.
- Most students qualify for TDF membership, which offers substantial discounts on tickets for members.
- Like students, some Rush Tickets are available to seniors as well as students with ID.
- Retirees (those ages 62 and up and no longer working) can also join TDF (the Theater Development Fund) and qualify for discount ticket opportunities with their membership.
Who Else Can Save?
- TDF Membership (less than $35/year) entitles many eligible people to significantly discounted tickets. In addition to students and retirees, full-time freelancers, teachers, non-profit staff, recent graduates, union members, and others can join and take advantage of the discount ticket offers available to members.