Brazil Visa - Countries Exempted from Tourism and Business Visas

Businesswoman checking in at airport ticket counter
Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images

Nationals from some countries need neither a tourist visa nor a business visa to enter Brazil. The list of exempted countries may change without prior notice and it’s important to check with the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate whose jurisdiction you live in whether your country is really exempted.

The exemptions don't apply to several other kind of Brazil visas, such as visas for media correspondents, professional athletes, or students.

Exemptions are valid for a stay of up to 90 days and travelers that don't need a visa must present a passport that is valid for more than six months at the Brazilian port of entry. They must also make sure that they have met Brazil vaccination requirements.

Nationals from another group of countries need a business visa to enter Brazil, but they are exempted from a tourist visa for a stay of up to 90 days (with the exception of Venezuela, whose nationals are exempted of a tourist visa for a stay of up to 60 days).

You can check the most updated list of exempted countries on the Consulate General of Brazil websites, or better yet, contact the Brazilian Consulate whose jurisdiction you live in.

New Visa Rules for American, Australian, Canadian, and Japanese Travelers

Before the Summer Olympics in 2016, Brazil temporarily waived visa requirements for U.S. travelers to make it easier for them to get to the South American country. Resulting from that rise in tourism, Brazil then created an e-visa program in January 2018 that let U.S. citizens get an online visa at a discounted $44 instead of the usual $160 visa cost. Now, the Brazilian government has completely cancelled the visa requirement for American travelers.

Starting June 17, 2019, citizens from Canada, Australia, Japan, and the U.S. can visit Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa. However, if you're traveling to the nation before the June date, you'll still need to apply and pay for that e-visa here.

These Countries Need Neither Visa:

  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bolivia
  • Bulgaria
  • Czech Republic
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Honduras
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Morocco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • OSM Malta
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom
  • Uruguay
  • Vatican

Countries that Require Business Visas Only

The following countries are exempted from Brazil tourist visas, but their citizens must apply for business visas:

  • Andorra
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Liechtenstein
  • Malaysia
  • Namibia
  • Panama
  • Venezuela (exempted for a stay of up to 60 days)
Was this page helpful?