Even when you're traveling to an exotic location like the Caribbean, there are times that you want the comforts of home. For some island travelers, that means seeking out a hotel with a familiar brand name, which comes with some guarantee of a level of service you are familiar with back in the U.S. Another plus: you can earn and redeem your hotel loyalty points at these properties, so you might even be able to stay a few nights for free!
Fortunately, many household-name hotel chains have long had a presence in the Caribbean, from Hilton and Marriott to some that might come as a surprise, like Comfort Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Read on to learn which brand-name hotels are where and how you can book a room...
The Best Western chain has hotels on six Caribbean islands, including the Best Western Bay View Suites, a smart pick for enjoying the amenities of Paradise Island, Bahamas on a budget. The Best Western Premier Petion-Ville is a great example of a hotel offering much-desired U.S. level service in a location (Haiti) that sometimes falls short of that standard. In Puerto Rico, there's a Best Western in the popular San Juan tourist destination of Condado (the Condado Palm Inn and Suites) as well as the oceanfront Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa in Guanica.
The Radisson brand, which attracts both leisure and business travelers to hotels in city centers and near airports, can be found in three Caribbean capital cities: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; Bridgetown, Barbados; and St. George's, Grenada.
Choice Hotels: Comfort Inn, Clarion Inn
Choice Hotels, which operates such budget-friendly properties as Comfort Inn, Clarion Inn, and Econolodge as well as the more upscale Ascend Collection and Cambria Suites, has nine hotels scattered across the Caribbean, in all price ranges. These include:
- Aruba: The La Cabana Beach Resort and Casino, one of the most enduring hotels on the island
- Bahamas: Comfort Suites Paradise Island, which has guest privileges at the nearby Atlantis resort
- Cayman Islands: Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach, located on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean
- Curacao: Acoya Hotel Suites and Villas, an off-the-beach locale with large suites and villas
- Dominican Republic: Quality Hotel Real Aeropuerto Santo Domingo, highly convenient for business travelers
- Guyana: The Opus Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel in Georgetown
- Puerto Rico: Comfort Inns in San Juan and Levittown, as well as the Le Consulat hotel
- St. Maarten: The Alegria hotel on the Dutch side of the island
The luxury, Canadian-based Fairmont chain has four iconic properties in the Caribbean, including two famous hotels in Bermuda: The Fairmont Hamilton Princess and the Fairmont Southampton. The Fairmont Royal Pavilion in Barbados is a bastion of English grace and comfort, while the Fairmont Mayakoba is ensconced in one of the premier luxury enclaves on the Riviera Maya in Mexico.
Four Seasons ranks among the finest hotel chains in the world, and similarly, the Four Seasons Nevis is consistently named as one of the top upscale resorts in the Caribbean. The chain recently launched its second Caribbean property in Anguilla.
The British Colonial Hilton in downtown Nassau, Bahamas was a pioneering resort in Caribbean travel and famously the location of two classic James Bond movies, and the Hilton Curacao is in the heart of the action in Willemstad, the Hilton Trinidad is one of the premier addresses in the capital city of Port of Spain, and the Embassy Suites is the tallest building in the Dominican Republic capital, Santo Domingo.
The Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino is one of the most beautiful resorts on that Dutch Caribbean island, and the chain also is planning to open a Grand Hyatt at the long-awaited Baha Mar in Nassau, Bahamas. Meanwhile, you can enjoy Hyatt quality service and style at the Hyatt Key West Resort and Spa, the Hyatt Ziva and Zilaria resorts in Rose Hall, Jamaica, and the Park Hyatt, St. Kitts.
International Hotel Group
The International Hotel Group (IHG) is the parent company for a dozen familiar hotel brands, including Holiday Inn, Intercontinental Hotels, Kimpton Hotels, and Crowne Plaza. In the Caribbean, IHG operates hotels in seven Caribbean destinations, including:
- Aruba: The Holiday Inn Beach Resort and Casino
- Bahamas: The Holiday Inn Express and Suites Nassau
- Cayman Islands: The Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman
- Dominican Republic: Holiday Inn Santo Domingo, Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo
- Jamaica: Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay (All-Inclusive)
- Cancun: InterContinental Presidente Resort, Holiday Inn Resort Arenas
- Puerto Rico: Holiday Inn Mayaguez, Holiday Inn Ponce, and Tropical Casino, Holiday Inn Express Condado, InterContinental San Juan
- Trinidad and Tobago: Holiday Inn Express Trinidad Airport
Marriott is one of the most recognized hotel brands in the world and also owns the Ritz-Carlton and Renaissance brands worldwide. The company has a whopping 37 Caribbean resorts across its brands, including the famous Atlantis resort in Paradise Island, part of Marriott's Autograph Collection.
Other Marriott Caribbean properties include:
- Ritz-Carlton's in Aruba, Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas
- Marriotts in St. Thomas (Frenchman's Cove), St. Kitts, Curacao, Grand Cayman, and San Juan
- Courtyard by Marriott in Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Barbados, and Trinidad
- Renaissance Resorts in San Juan, St. Croix, Curacao, Dominican Republic, and Aruba
- JW Marriott in Dominican Republic
- The Scrub Island Resort, British Virgin Islands (Autograph Collection)
Starwood Hotels and Resorts has properties in more than a half-dozen Caribbean destinations, including four hotels in Puerto Rico and two in the Dominican Republic and Cancun. The full Starwood Caribbean lineup is:
- The W Retreat and Spa, Vieques, Puerto Rico
- The Westin St. John Resort and Villas
- The Westin Resort and Spa Cancun
- The Westin Lagunamar, Cancun
- The Westin Puntacana Resort, Dominican Republic
- The Westin Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach
- The Westin Dawn Beach Resort, St. Maarten
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
- The Sheraton Santo Domingo
- The Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino
- The Sheraton Old San Juan
- Four Points by Sheraton Caguas Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
- Four Points by Sheraton Puntacana, Dominican Republic
- The Westin Golf and Spa Resort, Playa Conchal, Costa Rica
Did you know that the Wyndham chain is actually a major player in the Caribbean all-inclusive resort market? Viva Wyndham has seven all-inclusive resorts in the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, and Mexico, including:
- Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach, Grand Bahamas Island, Bahamas
- Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, La Romana, Dominican Republic
- Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, La Romana, Dominican Republic
- Viva Wyndham Tangerine, Cabarete, Dominican Republic
- Viva Wyndham Azteca, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Viva Wyndham Maya, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Viva Wyndham V Samana, Dominican Republic
- Viva Wyndham V Heavens, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Other Wyndham hotels in the Caribbean include:
- The Wyndham Reef Resort Grand Cayman
- The Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
- The Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar, Puerto Rico
- TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde, Puerto Rico
- Howard Johnson Centro Cardiovascular, San Juan, Puerto Rico