The Blue Star Museums initiative is a partnership among Blue Star Families, the National Endowment for the Arts, and more than 2,000 museums across America. First launched in the summer of 2010, Blue Star Museums offers free admission to active-duty military personnel and their spouses and children. In addition to children's museums participating museums represent a broad range of art, history, science, and cultural topics.
Blue Star Museums is a "thank you" to our military personnel and their families for their service and sacrifice. It also affords military families a way to spend quality time together, without worrying about the budget.
Who Gets into the Museums for Free?
Free admission to participating museums is available to any bearer of a Geneva Convention common access card (CAC), a DD Form 1173 ID card, or a DD Form 1173-1 ID card, which includes active duty military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard), National Guard and Reserve members and up to five immediate family members. Here is the chart of acceptable IDs to obtain free admission. Some special or limited-time museum exhibits may not be included in this free admission program. Please call the specific museum to see if any special programs are excluded.
Which Museums in the Phoenix Area Are Participating?
Museums in Chandler, Phoenix, Mesa, Apache Junction and Wickenburg have opted into the Blue Star Museums program.
Arizona Science Center, Phoenix
The Heard Museum, Phoenix
Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix
Arizona Railway Museum, Chandler
i.d.e.a. Museum, Mesa
- Get there using Valley Metro Rail
Mesa Historical Museum, Mesa
Superstition Mountain Museum, Apache Junction
Desert Caballeros Western Museum, Wickenburg
How About the Rest of Arizona?
If you'll be visiting other areas of our beautiful state this summer, plan a stop at one of the following museums that are Blue Star Museums.
Lake Havasu Museum of History, Lake Havasu City
Nohwike' Bagowa Museum, Fort Apache
Phippen Museum, Prescott
Amerind Museum, Dragoon
Arizona History Museum, Tucson
Arizona State Museum, Tucson
Downtown History Museum, Tucson
Fort Lowell Museum, Tucson
Museum of Contemporary Art, Tucson
Tohono Chul Park, Tucson
Tucson Desert Art Museum, Tucson
Tucson Museum of Art, Tucson
Check this map to see which museums in other states are participating in this summer's Blue Star Museums program.
- You can visit as many participating museums as you'd like during the program period.
- A maximum of five family members (spouse, children, aunts, uncles, grandparents) in addition to the military ID holder may get free admission under this program.
- Children under the age of 10 without military ID are welcome to attend with their parents who have appropriate military ID.
- If your spouse is currently deployed your spouse and children can still participate in the program. Just bring your DD Form 1173 ID Card, or DD Form 1173-1 ID Card, for active duty military family members.
Visit Blue Star Museums online or contact a participating museum directly.