Considered one of New York City's most famous department stores, the iconic Bloomingdale's has undergone renovations since moving to 59th Street in 1886 yet continues to be a favorite destination for high-end shoppers visiting New York City. The 815,000 square-foot flagship store not only has an updated interior but always adds the latest brands in an effort to catch the eye of consumers.
In addition to high-end decor and beloved merchandise from hundreds of brands, shoppers can take a break and enjoy a culinary treat thanks to the store's numerous restaurant choices. With a few tips on how to save money and time and some details about the iconic store’s layout, you can spend a fun day shopping at Bloomingdale’s.
Maximizing Your Visit
It isn't unheard of to spend an entire day in this massive Bloomingdale's location, meals and all. Follow a few tips to get the most out of your experience.
- Avoid getting lost in this mega-store with the free Bloomingdale's app, which has maps, information on restaurants, and gives access to special offers and store events.
- Weekdays before lunch are the least crowded times to visit.
- Take advantage of the baggage check/coat check if you'll be shopping for a while.
- Ask the cashier if you'd like to have your purchases shipped home or to your hotel. This is available for purchases over $250.
- During the holiday season, the store is more crowded than usual, so be patient.
Getting to Bloomingdale's Flagship Store
You don't want to miss this New York City icon, especially during the holidays. Whether you live in New York City or are planning a trip to the area, you've got plenty of options to get there and get inside.
- Location: The main entrance to Bloomingdales is on 3rd Avenue between 59th and 60th Streets, however, there is also an entrance on Lexington and you can even enter directly from the subway.
- Subway: N/R/W and 4/5/6 to 59th Street/Lexington Avenue stop
- Website: Bloomingdale's
- Holiday hours: Bloomingdale's is open extended hours during the holiday season, so you'll have extra opportunities to get last-minute shopping done.
If shopping is making you hungry, there's no need to leave the premises. Bloomingdale's offers a range of options that rival nearby restaurants.
- Forty Carrots: Offering a variety of light lunch or dinner options, Forty Carrots serves its "famous" tart frozen yogurt, as well as salads, smoothies, and sandwiches.
- Magnolia Bakery: If you are seeking a delicious coffee treat or are in the mood for a pastry, you will find it at Magnolia Bakery. Be sure to check out the banana pudding, handmade cupcakes, cheesecake, cookies, and more.
- Fl!p: Ready to take a longer shopping break and devour a gourmet burger, mac and cheese, craft beer, or cocktail? You can find all of that and more at Fl!p.
Using Visitor Services
At the 59th Street Bloomingdale's, along with a few other select locations across the country, shoppers will find a Visitor Services area that can make shopping easier. Services include:
- Personal shopping assistance
- Translators and multi-lingual store directories
- Coat and package check
- Hotel package delivery with $250 purchase
- Currency exchange
- Information on special visitor promotions
- Restaurant reservations
Navigating Bloomingdale's Expansive Layout
Known for its signature big, small, and medium "Brown Bags," it's no wonder so many New York City visitors consider the department store an essential stop on their itineraries. If you haven't shopped at this location in a while or are stopping by for your first time, check out the floor layout so you can find exactly what you are looking for.
- The Heart of Shoe York: You read that right—Bloomingdale's shoe department, located on the fifth floor, has its own name and encompasses over 26,000 square feet. Shoppers will find popular brands include Jimmy Choo, Givenchy, Oscar de la Renta, Tory Burch, Kenzo, and more. In addition, a shoe repair shop and Margaux’s custom ballet flats are available in this area.
- An Innovative Home Department: Bloomingdale's has set a standard for home furnishings and textiles, combining an abundance of emerging brands with classic names. Domestics, furniture, and textiles come together on the sixth floor, with china and glassware on the seventh floor. Shoppers can find over 70 luxury bedding showcase displays, plus a variety of merchandise from brands such as Sky, Sparrow & Wren, Ralph Lauren, and Donna Karan.
- The Wedding Registry: Located on the seventh floor, not far from the china and glassware department, soon-to-be brides will enjoy an opulent atmosphere while creating their registry. Brides are provided personal registry consultants, and there is even a "thank you card" management system available.
- Housewares: Whether you are searching for cutlery, coffee machines, toasters, or bakeware, you are sure to find it in the store's housewares department on the eighth floor. The area even has a demo-kitchen, where restaurant and celebrity chefs will work their magic in front of shoppers.
Browsing Bloomingdale's Merchandise
Even as Bloomingdale’s continues to reinvent its flagship location, you can still find your favorite items at the store. Popular departments include:
- Men's sportswear, suits, and shoes
- At His Service (personal shopping)
- Watch & jewelry repair
- Beauty and accessories for men & women
- Handbags and wallets
- Jewelry and watches
- Men's accessories/basics
- Men's and women's fragrances
- Men's and women's sunglasses
- Fashion accessories
- Women's classic and contemporary apparel and shoes
- Online order pick-up desk
- Interior design
- Gadgets and tools
- Bedding and bath
- Infant, toddler, and girls 4 to 16
- Infant, toddler, and boys 4 to 20
If you don't want to spend time shopping, choose your merchandise online and then pick it up at the store at the online order desk on Level 3. Same day service is available for selected items.
If shopping is wearing you down, know that you can work with a personal shopper and a stylist who can help you put together a stunning outfit. And if things don't fit perfectly, there is an in-store alterations department to help out with that.