It's fun to cross the Brooklyn Bridge -- but for many people, once is enough! Where in New York City can you rent a bike and ride across the Brooklyn Bridge, explore a bit of Brooklyn, and get back to Manhattan without adding the extra mileage?
About the Bikes
- You can rent a bike from many bike shops in Brooklyn. If you wish to rent right at Brooklyn Bridge Park, however, get in touch with Bike and Roll which also offers a bike rental and ferry boat package deal.
- Or, go the DIY route, which is cheaper and also easy. Just rent a Citi Bike, ride to your heart's content, and then just return the bike and hop on an East River Ferry. The only risk is that you won't be able to find or return the bikes exactly where or when you wish. So, if you have a plane or Broadway show to make, leave plenty of time.
- Find out where you can pick up or return Citi Bikes near the Brooklyn Bridge.
About the Ferries
In the summer, Brooklyn Bridge Park is served by different ferry lines. Check out their offerings:
- East River Ferry has cheaper commuter lines.
- NY Waterway (which is corporately linked to the East River Ferry) ferries go to Governors Island.
Pros and Cons of Biking the Brooklyn Bridge
- It's fun
- Environmentally friendly ways to get around
- Nice way to see the Brooklyn Bridge and DUMBO
- Water Taxi back to Manhattan is a quick but gorgeous ride
- Street bike riding in NYC requires care and sometimes skill
- Brooklyn Bridge bike and pedestrian lanes are often very crowded
- Pricey for a family of four