Compared to other indoor water parks, the 40,000-square-foot Big Splash Adventure is a medium-sized facility. Its most prominent feature is its all-glass exterior. The translucent walls and roof allow sunlight in all year long and give the park an open ambiance. Opened in warmer weather, its retractable glass roof really gives the park an open feeling. At the time it debuted, Big Splash Adventure was the largest indoor water park with a retractable roof in the United States.
The park has a tropical and pirate theme. Its most intriguing and most thrilling attraction is Silver Beard’s Revenge, a bowl ride. Big Splash Adventure does not offer any other major water park features, such as a FlowRider surfing ride, or a funnel ride.
Among the park's other more challenging rides are Pirate's Plunder and Scallywag Scuttle, two enclosed body slides. Jolly Roger Jetty is an enclosed tube slide that snakes outside the building (but is heated and remains comfortable in the colder months).
Guests of all ages and thrill tolerances would enjoy the Lost River, a lazy river that includes spray features and travels through a cave. The Lost Treasure Lagoon is an activity pool with water basketball, a lily pad walk, and an area with a strong current.
Buccaneer Bay is primarily designed for younger kids. The interactive water play center has water jets, bridges, climbing structures, and a giant bucket that periodically dumps water. Big Splash Adventure's youngest visitors will want to head to Splish Splash Pool, a wading area with pint-sized attractions.
The park also offers an adults-only whirlpool. In the warmer months, Big Splash Adventure opens its outdoor pool.
What's to Eat?
There are three restaurants at Big Splash Adventure. The Boatyard is a full-service eatery offering full dinners such as a ribeye steak as well as sandwiches, pasta, and fried seafood baskets. Located in the arcade, the Gallery Grill has more casual fare such as pizza and burgers. There is also a lounge serving drinks and pub fare.
Hotel Overview, Admission Policy, and Location
The Big Splash Adventure hotel offers over 150 rooms, including suites and standard guest rooms. In addition to the indoor water park, the resort offers an outdoor pool, arcade, and meeting and conference areas. It also features The Ranch, a working ranch, with horseback riding, fishing, and other activities available, as well as The Mansion, an upscale guest house with a gourmet restaurant.
Registered hotel guests receive passes to the water park as part of their room fees. A limited number of day passes are available for the general public as well. For pricing and to make reservations, go to Big Splash Adventure's official Web site.
Big Splash Adventure is located in French Lick, Indiana. The address is 8505 W. State Road 56 in French Lick.
- From Evansville: I-164N to I-64E. Take Exit 72, IN-145 toward Birdseye/Bristow. In French Lick, turn right onto IN-56/Indiana St. to resort.
- From Louisville: I-64W onto US-150W toward Greenville/Paoli. Left onto US-150/E. Main St/IN-56 to resort.
- From Indianapolis: IN-37S to US-150/IN-56 to resort.
Other Nearby Things to Do
- Big Splash Adventure is located across from the French Lick Resort and Casino, which offers two hotels, golf, and a spa.
- Like Big Splash Adventure's water park, Shotz Miniature Golf and Lazer Tag is indoors and open year-round. It is operated by the same group as Big Splash Adventure and is located just up the street from the water park.
- Another sister attraction is Wilstem, located in Paoli, Indiana. It features encounters with elephants, giraffes, and other animals. It also offers ziplines, horseback riding, and ATV tours.