Bethesda is located inside the Capital Beltway (I-495) in Montgomery County, Maryland just north of Washington, D.C. This map shows the location of Bethesda in relation to the other major neighborhoods within the capital region. Downtown Bethesda is located just a few miles southeast of I-495. The major thoroughfares that run through the area are Route 355 - Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Avenue and MD Route 187 - Old Georgetown Road. Downtown Bethesda is centered at the intersection of Wisconsin Avenue, Old Georgetown Road and East-West Highway. Bethesda encompasses a large area and is one of the wealthiest communities in the capital region. It is a popular destination for shopping, dining and cultural events.
Bethesda Map and Transportation
This map shows Bethesda's location, I-495 and the major thoroughfares that run through the area: Route 355 - Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Avenue and MD Route 187 - Old Georgetown Road. Nearby neighborhoods include Chevy Chase Friendship Village, Kensington, Glen Echo and Cabin John.
Getting to Bethesda, Maryland
Bethesda is accessible by Metrorail and Metrobus. The Downtown area is walking distance to the Bethesda Metro Station (at the intersection of Route 355/Wisconsin Avenue, Route 187/Old Georgetown Road and Route 410/East-West Highway). There is also a stop (Medical Center) farther north in front of the National Institutes of Health and the National Naval Medical Center.
From I-495 North, Take Exit 34 South to Wisconsin Avenue,continue for two miles to Downtown Bethesda
From I-95 South, Take I-495 West towards Silver Spring/Chevy Chase. Take 355 South in direction of Bethesda which turns into Wisconsin Avenue
Downtown Bethesda Map and Parking
Bethesda is an urban district in Montgomery County, Maryland that is home to nearly 200 restaurants, two live theatres, 20 art galleries and great shopping. It is one of the busiest suburbs of Washington DC. To ease traffic, the Bethesda Circulator Bus offers free transportation around the Downtown area. Many restaurants are located in the corridor between Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda Avenue, Arlington Road and Elm Street. Outdoor events are often held at Veterans Park at the corner of Norfolk & Woodmont Avenues.
Parking in Bethesda
Bethesda has many public parking garages and surface lots. Most are along the side streets off of Route 355/Wisconsin Avenue. Garage Parking is free on Saturdays, Sundays and County Holidays in Montgomery County Garages. Metered street parking is available for $2.00 per hour.
- Auburn-Del Ray Garage - 4910 Auburn Ave
- Bethesda Ave-Elm St Garage - 4841 Bethesda Ave
- Capital Crescent Garage - 7171 Woodmont Ave
- Cheltenham Garage - 4720 Cheltenham Dr
- Cordell-St. Elmo Garage - 4935 St Elmo Ave
- Metropolitan Garage - 7601 Woodmont Ave
- Waverly Garage - 7401 Waverly St
- Woodmont Corner Gararge - 7739 Woodmont Ave
- Woodmont-Rugby Garage - 8216 Woodmont Ave
- Bethesda Library Parking Lot - 7400 Arlington Rd
- Cordell Ave Parking Lot - 4854 Cordell Ave
- Farm Women's Market Parking Lot - 4601 Leland St
- Leland Street Parking Lot - 4600 Leland St
- Maple Avenue Parking Lot - 4707 Highland Ave
- Middleton Lane Parking Lot - 4538 Middleton Ln
- St. Elmo Ave Parking Lot - 4835 St Elmo Ave
- West Virginia Avenue Parking Lot - 4704 West Virginia Ave
- Woodmont Avenue Parking Lot - 8009 Woodmont Ave
For more information about the area, see Bethesda, Maryland - A Neighborhood Guide