Shopping in Washington, D.C. can be a fun activity for both those that live there and those who are passing through. Thankfully, going on a shopping spree doesn't have to mean breaking the bank to visit the expensive shops at City Center or those like MM.LaFleur. Thrift stores and vintage clothing shops in D.C. are a great alternative and fun place to look for unique items all while finding bargains.
Luckily, the Washington, D.C. area has a variety of thrift and vintage shops that offer second-hand items including clothing, accessories, toys, furniture, household items, and much more. Check out this list of 13 thrift shops to find some little gems for yourself, your home, or for your family and friends. After thrifting around, visit the Washington, D.C. flea markets for more distinctive bargain finds.
Thrift and Vintage Shops
- Analog - Analog is an independent boutique featuring handmade stationery and paper craft items. The shop also has vintage clothing and accessories from Beltway Vintage. The address is located at 716 Monroe St, NE, Studio 5, Washington, D.C.
- Frugalista - Frugalista buys consignment-quality men and women's clothing and sells them on an online store. The address is 3069 Mt. Pleasant St. NW Washington, D.C.
- Goodwill Greater Washington - Items available at Goodwill includes clothing, furniture, household goods, and more. Shoppers can also shop online at Goodwill for a wide range of musical instruments, jewelry, art, collectibles, electronics, and media. Stores are located in various areas of Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia.
- Martha's Outfitters - Martha's Outfitters is the retail arm of Martha's Table and sells second-hand, brand-name men's, women's and children's clothing & shoes, housewares, jewelry, books, and music. Donations of clothing and small housewares can be donated at both Martha’s Outfitters locations. There are two locations: 2122 14th St NW Washington, D.C. and 2204 Martin Luther King Ave. SE Washington, D.C.
- Meeps Vintage Fashionette - Located in Adams Morgan, Meeps sells vintage clothing for men and women, including local designs and costumes. The address is situated at 2104 18th Street NW Washington, D.C.
- Mustard Seed - Situated conveniently near the Bethesda Metro Station, Mustard Seed offers a variety of modern labels, secondhand clothing, jewelry, and vintage clothing. The store can be found at 7349 Wisconsin Ave. Bethesda, MD.
- Reddz Trading - This shop is similar to a consignment store, but they buy for cash or trade. Reddz prides itself on getting their merchandise from local fashionistas who are looking to trade their gently used items. New items are added to their sales floor almost every hour. The store has two locations at 1413 Wisconsin Avenue NW Washington D.C. and 7801 Woodmont Ave Bethesda, MD.
- Salvation Army Family Thrift Stores - The international charitable organization operates thrift stores and has many locations in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Northern Virginia. A wide variety of used items are available to purchase.
- Secondi - This consignment shop is located in Dupont Circle and specializes in women’s designer clothing. The address is 1702 Connecticut Ave., NW Washington, D.C.
- The Twig Thrift Shop - Proceeds from this shop benefit the Inova Alexandria Hospital. The shop offers clothing, jewelry, shoes, and fashion accessories including Vera Wang wedding dresses, Jimmy Choo shoes, J. Crew Tees, funky puka beads, and much more. The Twig is located at 106 North Columbus Street Alexandria, VA.
- Via Gypset - Located in the heart of Washington D.C., Via Gypset offers vintage and modern clothing. Starting in 2015, the store expanded into home goods and gifts sourced from local artisans and smaller companies. Visitors can find this shop at 2311 Calvert Street NW Washington D.C.