Particularly during the spring and summer months in Paris, little is more idyllic than nursing a cocktail or glass of crisp, fruity white while taking in panoramic views of the city. With that in mind, these 7 rooftop bars in the French capital are an ideal refuge away from the urban hustle and bustle, offering spectacular views and top-notch drinks. Some also make great spots for a casual evening meal al fresco; many of these coveted top-floor bars feature lush terrace gardens and head-turning architectural details. Head up to the top, kick back, and enjoy one of these local staples of Parisian nightlife.
This favorite after-work hangout for boho professionals from the hip 11th arrondissement is coveted for good reason: it boasts a sprawling, leafy 6th-floor terrace that affords remarkable views of much of the capital. Large wooden tables and abundant greenery add a warm touch to the architect's house design. The full bar menu includes a whole stable of classic and creative cocktails, as well as extensive wine and beer choices.
The restaurant (reserve ahead) has seasonal menus that are firmly in the mid-price range.
- Address: 14 Rue Crespin de Gast, 11th arrondissement
- Metro: Menilmontant or St-Maur (line 2, 3)
- Tel: +33 (0)148061848
- Open: Tuesday to Sunday, 6:00 pm to 2:00 am (open from 4:00 pm on weekends)
- For restaurant reservations (recommended): email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address4 Rue Danton, 75006 Paris, France
Phone+33 1 81 69 00 60
Situated in the heart of the Latin Quarter, this sublime terrace bar on the 9th floor of the Holiday Inn Notre Dame hotel is prized for its full-range panoramic views, as well as for its well-thought out and innovative selection of cocktails, from classics like cosmos to in-house specials. You can also nibble on cheese or charcuterie plates while you take in unforgettable perspectives of the whole city.
Related: The Best Cocktail Bars in Paris
Especially breathtaking at dusk, the rooftop bar area gives you exquisite views over the picture book-pretty Quartier Latin, as well as many of the city's most iconic monuments.
- Address: 4 Rue Danton, 6th arrondissement
- Metro: St-Michel (line 4)
- Tel: +33 (0) 1 81 69 00 60
- Open: Tuesday to Saturday, 4:00 pm to 12:00 am
Read Related: A Complete Guide to the Latin Quarter
Designed by renowned architect Philip Starck, Mama Shelter is one of the capital's oddest-- and most endearing-- concept hotels. In addition to their onsite restaurant and casual pizzeria, the rooftop bar here is well worth a visit. Featuring soft string lighting, whimsical, warm colours, and big, comfy sofa seating areas, the ambiance is chic but decidedly laid back.
Come here for a drink pre or post-concert at La Flèche d'Or, a popular indie venue just across the street on Rue de Bagnolet. The bar serves an assortment of cocktails, as well as a variety of soups and hot dogs.
Sadly, the rooftop area is only open on Sunday evening, and then only when the weather permits. But it makes for a great lazy Sunday thing to do in the French capital.
Related: Full Review of Mama Shelter Hotel
- Address: 109 rue de Bagnolet, 20th arrondissement
- Metro: Gambetta, Porte de Bagnolet or Alexandre Dumas (line 2, 3)
- Tel: +33 (0)14 34 84 848
- Open: Sundays from 5:00 pm-11:00 pm
Like its sister bar in Menilmontant, this more central location of Le Perchoir is adored by locals and visitors alike for its relaxed terrace with views of sights including the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame Cathedral. It's open year-round, even in the winter, making it a good refuge from the cold and a reminder of more clement seasons to come.
Featuring mini palm trees, heat lamps, and cozy cream and green beach furniture more reminiscent of Florida than France, patrons can enjoy a drink or snack here after an afternoon of shopping at the BHV department store, enjoying views of the store's historic Belle-Epoque dome at the top. It's also a good choice for dusky libations before a night out in the popular and ever-stylish Marais district.
Related: A Self-Guided Tour of the Marais
- Address: 37 rue de la verrerie, 4th arrondissement
- Metro: Hotel de Ville (line 1, 11)
- Tel: +33 (0)9 77 40 14 00
- Open: Wednesday to Saturday, 8:15 pm to 2:00 am
The 7th floor of this classic old hotel in Montmartre near the cemetery has been entirely renovated to add a gorgeous, colorful rooftop bar that's fast become a neighborhood favorite. Offering panoramic views of the city, the bar offers a full menu of drinks and snacks. Wood, glass, and colorful furniture abounds, creating a setting that's at once modern and unpretentious. You can also enjoy brunch here on the weekends.
- Address: 12-14 rue Joseph-de-Maistre, 18th arrondissement
- Metro: Place de Clichy or Abbesses (line 2, 12)
- Tel: +33 (0)1 46 06 72 85
- Open: Daily from 3:30 pm to 1:00 am (see the official website for restaurant opening times and menus)
- Reserve a table for the restaurant: Call the number listed above or reserve online
Read related: Complete Guide to the Montmartre District
Admittedly more of a cafe than a bar (only beer and wine are available here), no list of rooftop terraces in Paris would be complete without the Déli-cieux cafe-restaurant on the top floor of Printemps department store (Home building). Enjoy a simple lunch on the terrace and enjoy sweeping panoramic views over the Gallic capital-- you can see most of the city's key places and monuments from up here. This is the perfect spot for a pre or post-shopping spree break-- and photo ops, of course.
- Address: 64 Boulevard Haussmann, 9th arrondissement
- Metro: Chaussee d'Antin Lafayette or Saint-Augustin (Line 7 or 9)
- Tel: +33 (0)1 42 82 62 76
- Open: Monday to Saturday, 9:35 am to 8:00 pm. The terrace remains open until 8:45 pm on Thursday evening.