Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
- Best for Families: Tour For Children and Their Families – Buy Tickets at Viator "Perfect if you’re traveling with kids in tow in want them to have an enjoyable, educational experience."
- Best Walking Tour: Private Tour led by an Archaeologist – Buy Tickets at Viator "Travel by train to Herculaneum, another city destroyed by Vesuvius to see the headquarters of an ancient cult."
- Best Day Trip: Pompeii and Positano Day Trip – Buy Tickets at Viator "Drive to Positano, a cliffside village along the dazzling Amalfi Coast, where you can window shop in charming stores."
- Best Adventure: Pompei Ruins & Horseback Riding – Buy Tickets at Viator "Embark on a guided horseback ride of the Vesuvius National Park and soak in the scenery."
- Best Scenic Tour: Amalfi Coast and Pompeii Private Tour – Buy Tickets at Viator "The driver will make recommendations for excellent restaurants in Sorrento or Positano for authentic dining."
- Best Culinary: Pompeii Wine Tasting – Buy Tickets at Viator "Travelers will visit a family-run winery to tour the vineyards, winemaking room, cellars and refinery on a private tour."
- Best Short Tour: Small Group Tour with an Archaeologist – Buy Tickets at Viator "An archaeologist leads you through the main street to the basilica, forum, thermal baths, and more."
- Best Full Day Tour: Day Trip Excursion to Herculaneum – Buy Tickets at Viator "Pompeii’s story is not complete without also experiencing Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius."
Best for Families: Tour For Children and Their Families
If you’re traveling with kids in tow in want them to have an enjoyable, educational experience, then the “Pompeii Tour for Children and Their Families,” is a great fit. The 2.5-hour walking tour is geared to families, with interactive activities such as trivia and visual learning aids like pop-up books and iPad games. The guide will lead families to the amphitheater as they hear stories of Roman life, and also points out Roman baths, the Thermopolium Capuano (an ancient concession stand), and the House of the Tragic Poet – among other interesting stops. This tour allows also travelers to skip long ticket lines (admission included in the price).
Best Walking Tour: Private Tour Led by an Archaeologist
If you’re interested in an in-depth combination tour that’s both entertaining and informative, the half-day “Pompeii and Herculaneum Small-Group Walking Tour” is worth every penny. Spend two hours in Pompeii learning about the Forum (main square), House of Menander (a lavish historical home), the brothel, the theater, and the Granai del Foro, where several casts can be seen. Next, travel by train to Herculaneum, another city destroyed by Vesuvius, where a second guide will show visitors the College of the Augustales (thought to be headquarters of an ancient cult), the House of the Black Hall, a historical mansion, and several other structures.
Best Day Trip: Pompeii and Positano Day Trip
A visit to Pompeii is an excellent stop on a day trip from Rome, and the 11-hour, “Private Tour Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano” trip handles all the planning. The tour begins when your own personal driver picks up your group from the hotel in Rome in an air-conditioned vehicle and heads to Pompeii to explore the ancient city on your own or with a guide. Then, drive to Positano, is a cliffside village along the dazzling Amalfi Coast, where you can window shop in charming stores, dine in restaurants, or visit a beautiful beach. Travelers have the option to visit Sorrento instead of Positano if they prefer. Meals and admission are not included in this package.
Best Adventure: Pompei Ruins & Horseback Riding
For a taste of adventure mixed with history, the “Pompeii Ruins and Horseback Riding on Vesuvius,” makes for a memorable excursion. The eight-hour tour begins with a two-hour narrated exploration of Pompeii with a small group size and an expert guide. Next, the group travels to a winery where they’ll be treated to samples of Vesuvian wine and a fabulous four-course lunch. Lastly, embark on a guided horseback ride of the Vesuvius National Park and soak in the scenery on a one-hour 15-minute journey with stunning views of the volcano. Note that the tour departs from the port of Naples – not from individual hotels.
Best Scenic Tour: Amalfi Coast and Pompeii Private Tour
The Amalfi Coast is known for its towering bluffs dotted with colorful homes overlooking the sparkling sea beneath them, and on the “Amalfi Coast and Pompeii Private Tour,” there’s plenty of opportunities to soak it all in. The 8.5-hour tour includes round-trip transport, and first stops at the scenic, seaside town of Positano followed by Sorrento, known for its lemon and orange gardens. Next up is a two-hour tour of the historic site of Pompeii before a scenic drive along the Amalfi Coast. The tour does not include meals, but the driver can make recommendations for excellent restaurants in Sorrento or Positano for authentic dining.
Best Culinary: Pompeii Wine Tasting
For a modern experience in the city of Pompeii that does not involve the historical ruins, the “Pompeii Wine Tasting,” offers a taste of the cuisine and culture at the base of Mt. Vesuvius. Travelers will visit a family-run winery to tour the vineyards, winemaking room, cellars and refinery on a private tour. Then, sample some of the wines (and sparkling wine), plus enjoy food pairings such as smoked Scamorza cheese, bruschetta, or Neapolitan salami. Lunch consisting of pasta with fresh basil and tomatoes from Mt. Vesuvius and dessert topped off with limoncello cream, is served on the shaded patio with a beautiful backdrop.
Best Short Tour: Small Group Tour with an Archaeologist
For a personalized walking tour of Pompeii’s historic site that immerses visitors, the “Pompeii Small Group Tour” is a top choice. This tour lasts two hours, making it ideal for those on a time crunch and is only about Pompeii – so there are no other attractions bundled in. It also includes skip-the-line access to the site, saving travelers precious vacation time. An experienced archaeologist leads your group through the main street in Pompeii to the basilica, forum, granary, brothel, thermal baths, and many more fascinating parts of the ancient city while providing narrative along the way. The tour departs from the site itself, so transportation is not included.
Best Full Day Tour: Day Trip Excursion to Herculaneum
Although a visit to Pompeii will leave a lasting impression, Pompeii’s story is not complete without also experiencing Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius. On the 8.5-hour tour, “Private Tour Day Trip Excursion to Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius,” travelers get to sample all three with – or without – a guide at the sites (their choice). After pick up, the guide provides interesting narrative on the way to Herculaneum and Pompeii for a day spent exploring. Next, drive to Mt. Vesuvius for a chance to walk the crater. The tour offers transportation to and from accommodations in Naples, Sorrento or Salerno, but does not include admission price to the historic sites or meals – so bring some snacks.