The smaller the hotel, the more personal the experience. Some of the boutique hotels on our list are pet friendly, some have saunas, signature restaurants, free kayaks, and Kentucky Derby parties. Our favorite inns and bed-and-breakfasts have award-winning spas and impressive gardens. Here are our favorite inns, bed-and-breakfasts and boutiques for 2018.
Kinzie Hotel: Chicago, Ill. — featured in The Most Pet Friendly Hotels in Chicago
Chicago’s history and diverse urban landscape is the design inspiration for the Kinzie Hotel, a boutique hotel tucked away in the River North neighborhood. Vintage 19th-century maps and compasses are found in the room’s décor, locally commissioned art work hangs in the hallways, and scones mirroring old Chicago lampposts create an old-world feel throughout the property. Enjoy a complimentary breakfast before heading out to explore Chicago’s nearby restaurants and shopping. Kinzie Hotel is affordably priced, family-friendly and guests can enjoy an evening reception with snacks and drinks included.
Plus, if you have a pet, the hotel will provide an in-room Doggie Delights menu; a bed, bowl and bandana; and you’ll have access to a few dog parks within one mile of the hotel. –Wendy Altschuler
i31 Hotel: Berlin, Germany — featured in The Best Hotels in Berlin
In a city known for its relaxed and cool lifestyle, this four-star hotel has a reputation for being the best. In the bar bartenders go out of the way to find cocktails to match the mood and tastes of their clients; often you’ll catch live music or an edgy DJ performing. Guests love having breakfast in the garden next to the fish pond and Japanese maple trees. There is even a sauna to unwind after a busy day exploring the city. It says it all that the rooms are organized based on coziness level. Would you like pure cozy or or comfort cozy?
- Hotel Ibrahim Pasha: Istanbul, Turkey — featured in The Best Hotels in Istanbul
- Kimber Modern: Austin, Texas — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Austin
- The Emblem Hotel: Prague, Czechia — featured in The Best Hotels in Prague
- Cortiina Hotel: Munich, Germany — featured in The Best Hotels in Munich
- Heywood Hotel: Austin, Texas — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Austin
Miss Sophie's Hotel: Prague, Czechia — featured in The Best Hotels in Prague
While many tourists automatically opt to stay in Prague’s Old Town, one of the better boutique hotels in the city is in the adjacent New Town. (Which is a bit of a misnomer; while it is the Old Town that’s home to most of the historical sites, the “newer” area, outside the city walls, was appended to Prague by Bohemian king Charles IV in 1348.) In a renovated 19th-century Art Nouveau building, Miss Sophie’s is sleek and modern, and priced at a fraction of the city’s more established hotels. Across the street, the affiliated Miss Sophie’s Hostel is home to an epic breakfast and dirt-cheap happy hour.
And while European hostels may bring to mind shabby, sixteen-bunk dorms, Miss Sophie’s is nearly as stylish as the hotel itself. –Carey Jones
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel: Boston, Mass. — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Boston
Some of the best views of Boston can be found in Cambridge, and that includes the Hotel Marlowe, which overlooks the Charles River. This is one of the Kimpton’s 35+ urban boutique properties, conveniently located within short walking distance from downtown Boston, Kendall Square and popular attractions such as the Museum of Science, New England Aquarium and Faneuil Hall. This family- and dog-friendly hotel even offers amenities like free bike, kayak and paddleboard use and a complimentary wine hour in the lobby.
If you’re traveling with kids, they’ll also hook you up with baby gear on-site to lighten your load while traveling. –Katy Cirrone
Iron Horse Hotel: Milwaukee, Wis. — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Milwaukee
Fresh off its 10th anniversary this year, The Iron Horse Hotel — tucked into a century-old warehouse — woke up Milwaukee’s Walker’s Point area and has hosted many fun events since, from live music outdoors in The Yard (open seasonally, and boasting an unobstructed downtown-skyline view) to Kentucky Derby parties. Dogs are welcome (staff carry treats in their pockets), the rooms are spacious and luxe, and the three food/drink venues keep guests happy, including all-day dining at Smyth; innovative, classic cocktails at Branded; morning coffee and pastries at The Library; and lunch and dinner service in the yard.
Locals love to hang in the lobby, with its vintage Harley-Davidson motorcycles and industrial-chic décor. –Kristine Hansen
Hotel Sans Souci Wien: Vienna, Austria — featured in The Most Luxurious Hotels in Vienna
Located at the heart of Vienna’s cultural and artistic center, directly adjacent to Vienna’s Museum Quarter, this urban boutique hotel is a haven of relaxation, with extremely well trained staff that is known for anticipating the needs of their guests. The hotel’s interior was designed by the legendary design studio Yoo and is filled with fancy art that truly make this boutique hotel a unique experience. The rooms are all individually designed and combine the intimate enchantment of a boutique hotel as well as a noble design.
The property features a signature restaurant; The Veranda, a hotel bar and a small yet refined “Le Salon” event room, in addition to a spa. –David Duran
- Hotel Broad Ripple: Indianapolis, Ind. — featured in The Best Hotels in Indianapolis
- The Hermitage Hotel: Nashville, Tenn. — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Nashville
- Gavea Tropical Boutique Hotel: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil — featured in The Best Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Nerva Hotel: Rome, Italy — featured in The Top Budget Hotels in Rome
- The Malecon House: Vieques, Puerto Rico — featured in The Top Hotels in Vieques, Puerto Rico
Mudville Flats: San Diego, Calif. — featured in The Best Hotels in San Diego
Baseball fans will feel right at home when they slide into San Diego’s Mudville Flats, a boutique hotel that takes its name from the 1888 poem “Casey at the Bat.” The poem’s final line reads: “There is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.” Located in a historic 1905 California Craftsman, Mudville Flats is walking distance from the Padres’ Petco Park as well as the historic Gaslamp Quarter and the convention center. Each flat features a living room, kitchen, California King bed, clawfoot tub and private patio. –Brady MacDonald
- Memmo Alfama: Lisbon, Portugal — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Lisbon
- Vila Joya: Albufeira, Portugal — featured in Vila Joya on Portugal's Algarve Coast
- H15 Boutique: Warsaw, Poland — featured in The Best Hotels in Warsaw
- Ambassador Hotel Oklahoma City Autograph Collection: Oklahoma City, Okla. — featured in The Best Hotels in OKC
- Hotel DeLuxe: Portland, Ore. — featured in Boutique Hotels in Portland
Maricopa Manor: Phoenix, Ariz. — featured in the Best Boutique Hotels in Phoenix
This all-suites inn with six distinctively styled suites, all with private baths and kitchenettes, is set in the historical residential district of Phoenix. From the beautiful, hacienda-style architecture, to the secluded courtyard, to the inviting pool and fountains, Maricopa Manor is a serene retreat nearby all of the city's attractions. No matter if you’re visiting for business, a family gathering or just there to enjoy a little getaway, you’ll find the property to be most accommodating. As the city's only bed and breakfast, it is unique in all of Phoenix.
Vail Mountain Lodge: Vail, Colo. — featured in The Best Hotels in Vail
The town of Vail has a long list of extraordinary lodging, but Vail Mountain Lodge stands out as one of the best boutique hotels. It offers all of the amenities of a luxurious resort, but with the intimacy and charm of home. Here, enjoy a five-star restaurant, a world-class spa and a full fitness center—Vail’s only full-scale athletic club and spa. Vail Mountain Lodge, built on Gore Creek, is also conveniently located within walking distance of the mountain and Vail Village. Choose from 20 hotel rooms and seven condos, including a 2,100-square-foot condo with a balcony overlooking the creek.
Hotel F6: Helsinki, Finland — featured in The Best Hotels in Helsinki
In a city renowned for its design, Hotel F6 stands out. The focus of the hotel is a central courtyard where herbs are grown for the bar and guests can relax in funky orange chairs. Spiral staircases lead up to guest’s uber-comfortable, luxurious rooms. Guests can borrow complimentary bikes to cruise around the city — perhaps a trip to the close by contemporary art museum? They also can use the sauna before dinner as the Finns do. Every day a Finnish home-style breakfast is served with local specialities like Karelian pies (mashed butter and egg) and Omena-menu apple juice.
Inns and Bed & Breakfasts
The Allison Inn and Spa: Newberg, Ore. — featured in The Best Boutique Hotels in Portland
In the heart of Willamette Valley, Oregon’s lush wine region, is the Allison Inn and Spa. This five-star getaway has everything for pampering. The award-winning spa offers treatments inspired by the vineyards surrounding it. The Mimosa, for example, is a massage using champagne oil (that of course comes with its namesake cocktail.) All guest rooms have oversized windows for the best views of the surroundings, and gas fireplaces to cozy up next to with a bottle of local wine. The landscape gardens are made for meandering; guests come across original artwork on their stroll in addition to breathtaking vistas.
- Red Horse Inn: Cape Cod, Mass. — featured in Budget Hotels in Cape Cod
- Akwaaba: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts
- Gramercy Mansion: Baltimore, Md. — featured in The Best Baltimore Hotels
- Captain Fairfield Inn: Kennebunkport, Maine — featured in Haunted Inns & Hotels in Maine
- The Huff House Inn: Jackson, Wyo. — featured in The Best Jackson Hole Hotels
- Sugar Magnolia Bed & Breakfast: Atlanta, Ga. — featured in The Best Atlanta Hotels
- Tayberry Victorian Cottage: Tacoma, Wash. — featured in Bed & Breakfasts in Tacoma
- The Muse Gallery Guesthouse: Milwaukee, Wis. — featured in Charming Inns in Milwaukee
- Wades Point Inn on the Bay: St. Michaels, Md. — featured in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland Hotels
- Woodstock Inn: Kansas City, Mo. — featured in The Best Bed & Breakfasts in Kansas City
- The Residence Hotel: Aspen, Colo. — featured in Aspen Winter Hotels & Resorts
- Duke Mansion: Charlotte, N.C. — featured in The Best Hotels in Charlotte
- Back in Thyme: Kansas City, Mo. — featured in The Best Bed & Breakfasts in Kansas City
- Eden Park Bed & Breakfast: Auckland, New Zealand— featured in The Best Auckland Hotels
- Ivy at Verity: Toronto, Canada — featured in Toronto Boutique Hotels
- Ivy Mansion: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts
- Embassy Circle Guest House: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts
- Harvey House Bed & Breakfast: Chicago, Ill. — featured in The Best Chicago Hotels
- The Empress of Little Rock: Little Rock, Ark. — featured in Best Downtown Little Rock Hotels
- American Guest House: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts
- Aqualina Inn: Montauk, N.Y. — featured in The Best Hotels in Montauk
- Downtown Historic Bed and Breakfasts: Albuquerque, N.M. — featured in The Best Hotels in Albuquerque
- Chinaberry Hill Inn: Tacoma, Wash. — featured in Bed & Breakfasts in Tacoma
- Inn on Crescent Lake: Kansas City, Mo. — featured in The Best Bed & Breakfasts in Kansas City
- Dupont Mansion B&B: Louisville, Ky. — featured in The Best Hotels in Louisville
- East Brother Light Station: Richmond, Calif. — featured in West Coast Lighthouse Hotels
- Hacienda Tamarindo: Vieques, Puerto Rico — featured in The Top Hotels in Vieques
- Hawthorne Park Bed and Breakfast: Columbus, Ohio — featured in The Best Hotels in Columbus
- The Inn on Ferry Street: Detroit, Mich. — featured in The Best Hotels in Detroit
- Malolo Bed and Breakfast: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts
- O Canada House Bed & Breakfast: Vancouver, Canada — featured in The Best Bed & Breakfasts in Vancouver
- Riverdale Inn: Jacksonville, Fla. — featured in The Best Hotels in Jacksonville
- Roscoe Village Guesthouse: Chicago, Ill. — featured in Pet-Friendly Hotels in Chicago
- The Escape Inn: Cape Cod, Mass. — featured in Budget Hotels in Cape Cod
- Welcome Inn Manor: Chicago, Ill. — featured in The Best Bed & Breakfasts in Chicago
- Captain Lord Mansion: Kennebunkport, Maine — featured in Haunted Inns & Hotels in Maine
- The Germantown Inn: Nashville, Tenn. — featured in Nashville Boutique Hotels
- West End Inn: Portland, Maine — featured in The Best Fall Hotels in Maine
- Clifford House Bed & Breakfast: Cleveland, Ohio — featured in The Best Hotels in Cleveland
- Kalorama Guest House: Washington, D.C. — featured in Great D.C. Bed & Breakfasts