The idea of a European honeymoon has long enchanted couples in love.
The food, the culture, the history, the architecture, the sheer beauty of the continent and its major cities all feed into the aura of romance. Yet serious political issues, including terrorist bombings, the arrival of refugees, even the rise of anti-semitism, have given couples pause about the safety of visiting.
If one of you is frightened, don't go.
The world is a big place, and you can certainly find another destination to put your mind at ease. On the other hand, the threat of danger is everywhere in today's world. If you were to visit Paris, you'd still see couples in love walking hand in hand along the Champs-Elysées. In London, you'd see lovers kissing outside of Victoria Station. In Istanbul, couples haggle over goods in the Grand Bazaar.
The bottom line: Life goes on — and you never know when your time will be up. So live, love and travel. Knowing that you can't go everywhere, these are places in Europe that I consider especially romantic and worth visiting on a honeymoon or romantic getaway.
Special Places for a Honeymoon in Europe
There's more to Belgium than artisanal chocolate in Brussels and riverboats in Bruges, yet those are great places to start.
- Tivoli Gardens
Under Communist rule for decades, these cities and countries have flourished under freedom.
- Attractions of Budapest
- Budapest in Pictures
- Four Seasons Gresham Palace
- Hungarian Food in Budapest
- Jewish Budapest
It doesn't seem like another country; it seems like another world. While Moscow is a city of business and politics, St. Petersburg retains much of its magnificent architecture and history.
Tradition, history, art, architecture, museums and West End theatres all lure lovers.
- Honeymoon in London
- London Long Weekend Itinerary
- 51 Buckingham Gate
- Athenaeum Hotel
- Brown's Hotel London
- Cadogan Gardens No. 11
- Corinthia Hotel
- The Dorchester
- Flemings Mayfair
- Savoy Hotel
It's not the most exciting place in Scandinavia, but it's very clean.
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Hotel Kamp Helsinki
- Klaus K Hotel
The country that invented l'amour.
- Why Honeymoon in France?
- Know the French Tourism Regions
- Burgundy Barge Cruise
- Provence Hideaway
- South of France Honeymoon
- South of France in Pictures
- Honeymoon in Paris
- Learn to Cook in Paris
- Mandarin Oriental, Paris
- Romantic Movies about Paris, France
- Shangri-La Hotel, Paris
It would take a lifetime to explore the beauty of Greece. Start early.
- Honeymoon in the Greek Islands
- Chalkidiki & Its Peninsulas
- Sporades Islands
It's not connected to Europe but definitely is worth a stopover on your way there or back.
Gorgeous, green Ireland seduces visitors with its friendliness and easy-going pace.
- Romantic Dublin
- Dublin's Shelbourne Hotel
- Dublin's Westbury Hotel
- Dublin's Four Seasons Hotel
- Ballyfin House
- Dromoland Castle
- Belfast and Northern Ireland
- Waterford Castle
- Waterford Crystal Factory Tour
- Wild and Windswept Galway
Why are there more destinations to recommend in Italy than anywhere else? Because it truly is the most delicious, irresistibly romantic country in Europe.
- The Italian Alps
- Four Seasons Hotel Milano
- Hotel Caruso Belvedere on the Amalfi Coast
- Il San Pietro di Positano on the Amalfi Coast
- Shopping in Southern Italy
- Taste of Parma
- Turin in Pictures
- Taking the Train Around Italy vs Renting a Car
- Villa Feltrinelli on Lake Garda
- Learn to Cook in Florence
- Four Seasons Florence
- Hotel Lungarno
- Castello Di Casole
- 10 Most Romantic Hotels in Rome
- Best Rome Sightseeing Tours
- Romantic Rome
- Hassler Hotel Rome
- Regina Hotel Baglioni
- Venice Photo Gallery
- Bauer Il Palazzo Hotel
- Bauer Palladio Hotel & Spa
- Gritti Palace on the Grand Canal
- Hilton Molino Stucky
- Hotel Cipriani Venice
- Venice, Italy vs The Venetian Las Vegas
- Top Books About Venice
- Where the Fairytale Comes to Life
- Hotel de Paris
- Monte Carlo Beach Hotel
- Amsterdam Attractions for Adults
- Amsterdam's Dylan Hotel
- Amsterdam Marriott Hotel
- Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht
- Tulip-Time River Cruise
- Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg
- Russian Brides & Grooms
- Russian Wedding Traditions
- St. Petersburg Cruise Port
Scotland & Wales
Charming countries within Great Britain.
- Scotland Honeymoon
- Connoisseurs Scotland Luxury Hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels for Couples
- The Gleneagles Hotel
- The Torridon in Scotland's West Highlands
- Royal Yacht Britannia
- Wales Honeymoon
- Barcelona Honeymoon
- Mandarin Oriental Barcelona
- Seville's Gran Melia Colon Hotel
- Salamanca, Avila and Segovia
- Best Things to See and Do in Stockholm
- Hackeberga Castle Outside of Malmo
- Volvo European Delivery Program
- Flying Swiss International Airlines
- Traveling on Swiss Trains
- Switzerland's Greatest Hits
- Sightseeing Zurich | Dolder Grand Zurich
- Romantic Lucerne
- St. Moritz Honeymoon | Badrutt's Palace in St. Moritz
- Hotel Splendide Royale in Lugano
- Flying Turkish Airlines
- Loving Istanbul | Taste of Istanbul
- Istanbul's Most Romantic Hotels
- Kempinski Hotel Barbaros Bay | Bodrum Photo Tour
- Shangri-La Bosphorus
- Mandarin Boutique Hotel | Kakakoy Photo Tour
- Mardan Palace | Antalya Photo Tour
- How to Buy a Turkish Rug