Seeing a Broadway musical is often on the "must-do" list of many New York City visitors. With all the new musicals, as well as the perennial favorites, it can be tough to decide which to see. This list gathers together some recommended Broadway musicals to make your decision easier. For some additional ideas (especially if you're traveling with children) check out our list of Best Broadway Shows for Families.
01 of 07
The Book of Mormon
Written by the creators of South Park and Avenue Q, "The Book of Mormon" has been entertaining audiences with the story of two young Mormons going on mission in Uganda.
- Official Website: http://bookofmormonbroadway.com
- Opening Date: March, 24 2011
- Theater: Eugene O'Neill Theatre, 230 West 49th Street (between 7th and 8th Avenues)
02 of 07
Vaudeville elements and outstanding music combine to create, Chicago, whose action centers around a murder trial with a sexy, adult tone. Chicago was the Winner of 7 Tony Awards in 1997, including best Revival of a Musical.
- Official Website: http://www.chicagothemusical.com
- Chicago Opening Date: Thursday, November 14, 1996
- Chicago Theater: Ambassador Theatre, 219 West 49th Street (between Broadway and 8th Avenue)
03 of 07
Jersey Boys tells the story of Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons, as they make their way from Newark to stardom. 2006 Tony Award® Winner for Best Musical.
- Official Website: http://www.jerseyboysinfo.com/broadway/
- Opening Date: November 6, 2005
- Theater: August Wilson Theatre, 245 West 52nd Street (7th and 8th Avenues)
04 of 07
Fans of ABBA's music will love Mamma Mia, the story of a woman who wants to know the identity of her father as she's about to get married. This enjoyable Broadway hit has been performed for over 20 million people worldwide to much acclaim.
Continue to 5 of 7 below.
- Official Website: http://www.mamma-mia.com
- Mamma Mia Opening Date: Thursday, October 18, 2001
- Mamma Mia Theater: Cadillac Winter Garden Theatre, 1634 Broadway (50th/51st St)
05 of 07
Adapted from a popular independent film, Once won the 2012 Tony Award for Best Musical. Set in Dublin, the story follows a Czech immigrant and an Irish musician as they meet and a complicated love story unfolds.
- Official Website: http://www.oncemusical.com
- Once Opening Date: March 18, 2012
- Once Theater: Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre, 242 West 45th Street (7th and 8th Avenues)
06 of 07
The Phantom of the Opera
The Phantom of the Opera has been running continuously for over 20 years on Broadway, and for good reason -- this show is enchanting and this classic Broadway production is a great introduction to musical theater.
- Official Site: http://www.thephantomoftheopera.com
- The Phantom of the Opera Opening Date: Thursday, January 26, 1988
- The Phantom of the Opera Theater: Majestic Theatre, 247 West 44th Street (Broadway/8th Avenue)
07 of 07
Children and adults alike will enjoy Wicked, which tells the story that proceeds The Wizard of Oz from the Wicked Witch of the West's perspective. While the book might be a bit dark for children, the musical is family-friendly and includes excellent performances and music throughout.
- Official Website: http://www.wickedthemusical.com/
- Wicked Opening Date: Thursday, October 30, 2003
- Wicked Theater: Gershwin Theatre, 222 West 51st Street (Broadway/8th Avenue)