Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products and services; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Overview of Luxury Hotels in Mumbai
Heading to Mumbai and wanting to stay in a luxury hotel, but not sure which one? This guide showcases the best 5-star hotels in Mumbai with great locations, facilities and customer service.
Mumbai, being India's most cosmopolitan city, has some outstanding luxury hotels where you can lavishly indulge yourself in total comfort.
You'll find the majority of luxury hotels in Mumbai clustered around the airport, the south Mumbai areas of Colaba, Nariman Point and Marine Drive, the central shopping districts of Worli and Lower Parel, as well as the lively and upmarket western beachside suburbs of Juhu and Bandra.
You can expect to pay around $200 upwards for a double room, per night. These rates reflect Mumbai's status as the most expensive city in India. There's a 10% luxury tax on room rates, which is a little less than the 12.5% in Delhi. All hotels have smoking and non-smoking rooms, so do be sure to request a room that's suitable for your needs.
Here are six of the best Mumbai luxury hotels in each area across the city.
Colaba: Taj Mahal Palace and Tower
The iconic Taj Mahal Palace & Tower hotel was built in 1903 and has accommodated everyone from royalty to common folk. Its structure is striking and has many chandeliers, archways, domes and turrets. The hotel also boasts a noteworthy collection of artwork and artifacts that gives it an eclectic feeling.
As far as luxury hotels in Mumbai are concerned, the Taj Palace & Tower is in a league of its own. The hotel is an unsurpassed architectural marvel that brings together Moorish, Oriental and Florentine styles. It also offers fabulous panoramic views over the Arabian ocean and Gateway of India.
- Location: The hotel has a prime position on the waterfront opposite the Gateway of India, in Colaba. It's very handy to Mumbai's business and commercial areas, as well as tourist attractions. If you're looking to stay at a luxury hotel that's centrally located for sightseeing, this is the one!
- Accommodations: The hotel has 565 rooms, including 46 suites. They're located in two wings -- the restored heritage Palace wing and the more recently constructed Tower.
- Features: Six restaurants, eleven banquet halls, two bars, two lounges, nightclub, swimming pool and an excellent luxury spa.
Nariman Point: The Oberoi
The Oberoi group is known for having the most luxurious hotels in India, and The Oberoi Mumbai is no exception. The hotel was getting a little tired-looking but not anymore. It's been completely refurbished and sports a very modern new look.
- Location: The Oberoi is located on Marine Drive, overlooking the Arabian Ocean in south Mumbai's Nariman Point commercial and business district.
- Accommodations: The Oberoi has 73 suites and 214 rooms, some with ocean view, and all luxuriously furnished and with the latest technology. This includes an electronics docking station, a High Definition Media Interface hub in the writing desk to connect electronic devices to the TV and wireless Internet.
- Features: Three restaurants (world cuisine, Italian, and Indian), bar, champagne lounge, outdoor heated swimming pool, a 24-hour fitness center and 24-hour luxury spa.
Central Mumbai: The St. Regis (formerly the Palladium Hotel)
Mumbai's newest luxury hotel opened as a Shangri-la property in January 2013 but was subsequently re-branded as the Palladium Hotel in September 2013. It was relaunched as The St. Regis Mumbai in September 2015 and is the first St. Regis property in South Asia. The hotel really stands out as a place for indulgence and celebration. Its grand interiors seamlessly blend contemporary and timelessly ornate decor throughout, including chandeliers, marble and traditional mosaic motifs.
- Location: The hotel is part of the High Street Phoenix mall complex, which also consists of the high-end Palladium mall, in the central Mumbai suburb of Lower Parel (around halfway between the airport and Colaba). This makes it perfectly positioned for shopping and entertainment. While the Four Seasons hotel is close by, there is little of interest in its immediate surroundings, making it feel quite isolated. Hence, the St. Regis Hotel is preferable in this area.
- Accommodations: There are 386 rooms, 27 suites, and 33 residential suites (with one or two bedrooms) with fully-equipped kitchens for extended stays. The accommodations have floor to ceiling windows overlooking Mahalaxmi Racecourse, the city skyline and the Arabian Sea.
- Features: The hotel is the tallest hotel in Mumbai and it also has Mumbai's highest bar, highest nightclub, highest Asian restaurant and one of the Mumbai's best Sunday brunches. There's also a modern Japanese sushi and sake restaurant (Yuuka) and traditional Indian restaurant (The Sahib Room & Kipling Bar). Future plans include adding a modern European restaurant (Anais), an informal Mediterranean dining and cocktail space (LED - Love Eat Drink). The hotel has a fitness center with a 25-meter outdoor swimming pool as well.
- Other highlights of the hotel as a St. Regis property include special butler service, afternoon tea, midnight supper, Caroline Astor Art Tour, champagne sabering and Iridium Spa.
- Read more about The St.Regis.
Mumbai Airport: The ITC Maratha
Inspired by the Maratha dynasty, the ITC Maratha has an opulent Indian feel. Each floor features different themes that are brought to life by the hotel’s extensive art collection. This includes impressions of Ajanta frescoes, Chitrakatha drawings, Warli tribal art, Tantric art forms, framed coins, exquisite jewelry and many other artifacts.
- Location: The hotel is conveniently located in a peaceful spot on Sahar Airport Road, five minutes from the international terminal and ten minutes from the domestic terminal.
- Accommodations: The hotel has 386 rooms and suites. The Executive Club rooms are among the largest rooms in this category across India. ITC One rooms offer exclusive accommodations for the discerning business traveler. The grand Presidential Suite is a tribute to Chhatrapati Shivaji, a prominent ruler of the Bhosle dynasty that founded the Maratha Empire. It comes complete with added high security, and like all the suites, a personal butler.
- Features: The five award-winning restaurants and 6,500 square foot Wellness Center are the distinctive highlights of this hotel. Peshawri offers a taste of the highly acclaimed cuisine of India’s North West Frontier. Dum Pukht is a one-of-its-kind culinary experience in Mumbai, presenting a 200-year-old culinary legacy straight from the Royal Kitchens of the Nawabs of Awadh. Dakshin brings authentic flavors from south India.
- See other top hotels near Mumbai airport.
Bandra: Taj Lands End
The Taj Lands End is the perfect choice for anyone looking to enjoy Mumbai's happening nightlife and endless shopping in Bandra.
- Location: The hotel is located in Mumbai's hip suburb of Bandra, right opposite Bandra Bandstand and with a stunning outlook over the Arabian Ocean. Bandra is full of markets, restaurants, cafes, bars and clubs. It's also close to the business districts of the Bandra-Kurla Complex, Andheri, and Worli. However, visitors who want to see the tourist attractions of south Mumbai should keep in mind that the hotel is around one hour away from this area.
- Accommodations: The hotel offers sea view rooms over 18 levels, with 368 rooms (including 15 suites). One of its distinguishing features is its special ladies-only floor, designed to meet the needs of single female travelers. The hotel also has a separate non-smoking floor and a number of designated Green Rooms as part of its EARTH initiative.
- Features: Three restaurants and three bars, a huge banqueting area, health and fitness center, an outdoor swimming pool.
Juhu Beach: JW Marriott
The JW Marriott is an imposing looking hotel with a fantastic beach location. The grandeur greets you from the moment you walk into the lobby and the huge oceanfront pool and garden with beach access is simply magnificent.
- Location: The hotel is located in Mumbai's exclusive suburb of Juhu, on Juhu Tara Road. Similar to the Taj Land's End in Bandra, it's quite far away from the main tourist attractions but is great if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle and be fairly close to the airport. It's also convenient for checking out the nightlife and shopping in Bandra.
- Accommodations: The JW Marriott has 326 rooms and 29 suites, spread over five floors.
- Features: Quan spa, four restaurants, coffee shop, deli, lounge bar, Mumbai's famous Enigma nightclub and business center. The Lotus Cafe is one of the best places for Sunday brunch in Mumbai.