Berlin - an Overview
Berlin, is the third most visited place in Europe and fastest growing tourist destination. It fascinates young and old, history buffs and art lovers, architecture aficionados and underground clubbers alike. Wherever you go, you experience the pulsating life of Berlin: in over 170 museums and art galleries, in 300 clubs and 7,000 bars and restaurants - many of which are open around the clock.
When you walk through the city, you'll be struck by the variety of architectural styles, ranging from palaces, to the remnants of socialist buildings and modern skyscrapers.
Berlin - Facts
- 3.4 million inhabitants
- Divided into 12 districts
- Almost 500,000 residents are of foreign nationality, with 14,000 Americans living in Berlin
- Situated in eastern Germany, about 44 miles west of the border to Poland
Berlin - Getting There
By plane: Berlin's airports are all very well connected to the city:
By train: Reach Berlin from all directions by using the fast Intercity Express, Intercity, Euro City and Interregional Trains. Berlin's main train stations are:
- Zoologischer Garten
Berlin - Getting Around
Public Transportation: You don't need a car in Berlin – in fact, the city has the least cars per capita for all of Europe. Berlin's public transport system (known as “BVG”) is fantastic. Check out some of the best stations on the major U2 line here.
Tickets are 2.70 Euro for a two-hour pass, and 7 Euro for an unlimited day pass.
With one ticket, you can use the:
- Subway (U-Bahn)
- Tram (Strassen Bahn)
- Rapid transit (S-Bahn)
Bike: A great way to get around Berlin is by bike; the city is known for its highly developed bike lane system. You can rent a bike and explore Berlin on your own, or take part in a guided bike tour (the weirder the better). Ride on the runway at the city's airport turned park, Tempelhof.
Weather in Berlin
Berlin has a moderate climate; the warmest months are June, July and August, with daily temperatures ranging from 23-24 °C (72°F). The coldest months are December, January and February, with clear, frosty days, and temperatures often below zero.
At any time of the year, it's always a good idea to bring an umbrella. Check the weather in Berlin today .
From budget hostels, to boutiques, and luxury hotels, you'll find lots of great places to stay in Berlin. We even created a list of some of the city's coolest accommodations for visitors to enjoy. Check out these links to find great options in Berlin that fit your budget:
- Berlin's Coolest Accommodations
- The Best Berlin Hostels
- The Top 10 Berlin Hotels
- Best Hotels Under 100 Euros
- Rental Apartments
- Sublets or apartment swap
Berlin's Sights and Attractions:
- Berlin Festivals and Events
- Check out the 10 Best Things to Do in Berlin
- Take our Berlin Walking Tour that leads you to the most famous landmarks of the city.
- Visit the Brandenburg Gate, the national symbol of Germany.
- Treat yourself to a day of culture at one of the 10 Best Museums in Berlin.
- See the East Side Gallery, the colorful monument of the Berlin Wall
- Take the public double-decker bus #100 from Alexander Platz; it will help you get the lay of the land and it drives past a lot of interesting sights.
- 6 Best Places to Kiss in Berlin
- Best Spas in Berlin
- Some of Berlin's Weirdest Attractions.
- And don't forget What NOT to do in Berlin
Berlin offers a great array of hearty and traditional German dishes, such as Bratwurst, dumplings or Schnitzel, but you'll also find great vegetarian and international cuisine here.
If you want something good on-the-go, try:
- Döner Kebab, rotisserie lamb or chicken, carved thin and packed in a toasted Turkish bread with salad, tomatoes, and a sauce of your choice (3 Euro)
- Currywurst, a Berlin original: hot pork sausage, cut into slices and seasoned with curry sauce (2 Euro)
Learn more about these dishes and more in the Guide to Berlin Street Food.
Berlin is the capital of German nightlife and has a vibrant and ever changing club scene; check out our guide to Berlin Nightlife:
Berlin is also on our list Germany's Top 10 Cities - Best Spots for City Breaks in Germany.