The Berclair Neighborhood
Berclair is a neighborhood in East Memphis. It was developed in the late 1940's with many two and three bedroom homes intended to be ideal for young soldiers who were returning home from World War II. Though primarily residential, the area has a strong business presence, as well.
North: Macon Road
South: Summer Avenue
East: Mendenhall Road
West: Graham Street
The Berclair neighborhood lies in the 38122 zip code.
The estimated population of Berclair was 23,700 in 2005.
Dining in Berclair
There is no shortage of restaurants in Berclair. With the exception of the fast food chains, many of the restaurants are small and independently owned. You won't find an Applebee's, Friday's, or an Olive Garden in this neighborhood. This leaves some residents feeling like there is no place to eat. In reality there are plenty of restaurants to choose from.
- Baskin Robbins -- 4307 Summer Avenue
- Burger King -- 4628 Summer Avenue
- Central BBQ -- 4375 Summer Avenue
- Domino's Pizza -- 3937 Summer Avenue
- Howard's Donuts -- 4348 Summer Avenue
- KFC -- 4306 Summer Avenue
- Krystal -- 4431 Summer Avenue
- Little Caesar's -- 4290 Summer Avenue
- Mc Donald's -- 4210 Summer Avenue
- New Nam King -- 4322 Summer Avenue
- The Pancake Shop -- 4838 Summer Avenue
- Papa John's Pizza -- 4213 Summer Avenue
- Taco Bell -- 4370 Summer Avenue
- Taqueria La Guadalupana -- 4818 Summer Avenue
- The Tea Room at the Cottage House -- 4701 Summer Avenue
Shopping in Berclair
There are certainly no shortages of shops in Berclair. Much to the dismay of many residents, however, there is no discount superstore such as Walmart or Target in the neighborhood. Here is a sampling of some of the stores that can be found in Berclair.
Auto Parts Stores
Hardware and Tool Stores
Things to Do in Berclair
Although Berclair offers a lot of shopping and dining choices, it lacks in the area of entertainment. That being said, however, Berclair is centrally located so that it is a very short drive to midtown, downtown, Wolfchase, and other entertainment hubs around the city. Here are the neighborhood's meager entertainment offerings.
- Berclair Elementary, 810 North Perkins -- For outdoor recreation, this school has a playground, half mile walking track, and a soccer field.
- Gaisman Park, 1050 Vaughn -- The park is situated on the northern border of Berclair in what many might consider to be Nutbush. The park offers a walking path, playground, swimming pool, and community center.
- Imperial Lanes, 4700 Summer Avenue -- This is the oldest bowling center in Memphis. With 48 lanes, there is rarely a wait.
- Putt-Putt Golf and Games, 5484 Summer Avenue -- Though technically outside of Berclair, Putt-Putt is just a mile and a half down Summer Avenue, making it a favorite for the neighborhood's residents.
Although Berclair is a neighborhood heavily populated with children, there is only one Memphis City School in the district. Children living in Berclair are assigned to the following schools:
Private schools in the area include:
Places of Worship in Berclair
Like Memphis as a whole, there are plenty of places to worship in Berclair. These places include churches of various denominations as well as a mosque.
- Berclair Baptist Church -- 4584 Summer Avenue
- Berclair Church of Christ -- 4536 Summer Avenue
- Gateway Baptist Church -- 4070 Macon Road
- Grimes Memorial United Methodist Church -- 4649 Summer Avenue
- Leclair Baptist Church -- 4917 Macon Road
- Macon Road Baptist Church -- 1082 Berclair Road
- Muslim Society of Memphis -- 1065 Stratford Road
- New Hope Church of the Nazarene -- 4692 Macon Road
- Oasis Church of God in Christ -- 792 Avon Road
City Services and Government in Berclair
Berclair is located within the Memphis city limits. It is, therefore, protected by the city's emergency services and governed by the mayor and city council of Memphis. Here are some quick government and city services facts, as they pertain to Berclair.
- Emergency Services -- Dial 911
- Fire Station -- Berclair's neighborhood fire station is number 24, located at 4472 Powell.
- Police Precinct -- Berclair is in the Memphis Police Department's Central Precinct, located at 426 Tillman.
- City Council District -- Most of Berclair is in Memphis City Council's District 5 and in Super District 9.
- Tennessee Congressional District -- Berclair residents live in the state's 9th Congressional district.
- Garbage Collection -- Garbage in Berclair is collected by Memphis' Solid Waste Management Department. Click here to find out your collection day.