The weatherman often gets it wrong, even when predicting the sunshine for tomorrow, so how can you accurately predict what the weather will be like months from now? Here's my attempt to help you prepare for the weather in Barcelona in October.
What Weather to Prepare for When Visiting Barcelona in October
Averages are useful for predicting the weather, but the weather is rarely actually average.
Hot one year, cool the next... averages can't tell you anything about this. Also, October in much of Europe is a lot cooler by the end of the month than at the beginning, another thing that averages hide.
So here's my attempt to help you get a sense of what the weather is like in October in Spain by comparing the actual weather on particular days in recent years.
See also: Weather in Spain in October
Barcelona in Early-October: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Early-October in recent years has been warmer than the average in Barcelona, ranging from 24°C to 27°C (75°F to 80°F). Evenings are a little cooler, but still a pleasant 16-17°C (61-63°F). It tends to be dry.
- October 5 Averages High: 20°C. Low: 12°C.
- October 5 Records Not available.
- October 5, 2012 High: 24°C. Low: 17°C. No rain.
- October 5, 2011 High: 27°C. Low: 16°C. No rain.
- October 5, 2010 High: 24°C. Low: 16°C. No rain.
How does this compare with Madrid?
Check out Madrid Weather in October
What's On in Barcelona in Early-October? Not a huge amount in Barcelona itself, but nearby Tarragona has a Castells Competition (October 6-7, 2013), while Sant Sadurní d'Anoia has its celebration of cava sparkling wine at its Cavatast festival (October 4-6, 2013)
Barcelona in Mid-October: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Temperatures have crept down substantially in mid-October in recent years, dropping to 20-22°C (68-72°F) and quite a bit colder at night (bring a light jacket).
It has been largely dry.
- October 15 Averages High: 18°C. Low: 10°C.
- October 15 Records Not available.
- October 15, 2012 High: 22°C. Low: 12°C. No rain.
- October 15, 2011 High: 22°C. Low: 17°C. No rain.
- October 15, 2010 High: 20°C. Low: 11°C. No rain.
What's On in Barcelona in Mid-October? There are some unusual film festivals taking place, with the going on, with the Barcelona International Erotic Film Festival (October 10-13, 2013) and the Sitges International Fantasy Film Festival of Catalonia in Sitges, near Barcelona (October 11-20, 2013)
Barcelona in Late-October: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Not much changes between mid- and late-October in Barcelona, with temperatures more or less the same as earlier in the month. It has rained in two of the three previous years, quite substantially in 2011.
- October 25 Averages High: 17°C. Low: 9°C.
- October 25 Records Not available.
- October 25, 2012 High: 20°C. Low: 16°C. Some rain (1mm)
- October 25, 2011 High: 22°C. Low: 13°C. Rain (11mm).
- October 25, 2010 High: 18°C. Low: 9°C. No rain.
What's On in Barcelona in Late-October? The Barcelona Jazz Festival gets underway (October 19 - December 1, 2013)while there's also the Barcelona International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival (October 16-27, 2013).
- October 28 - November 6, 2013 (dates TBC) - Fires de Sant Narcis in Girona, near Barcelona.
Source: Weather Underground Almanac