The most important thing to know when planning a trip to Spain in early spring is probably the weather. While the temperatures are generally mild this time of year, it's not uncommon for travelers to experience an extremely cold or hot day within the month.
Below you will find not only the average temperatures for Barcelona in March but also the record highs and lows and what the real weather conditions were like in recent years in this Catalonian capital.
This way, you will be able to see the full range of weather patterns you could encounter when visiting.
An Overview of the Weather in Barcelona in March
Though Spring is here, temperatures for the first two-thirds of the month in Barcelona aren't much better than they were in February. Barcelona's proximity to the sea means the water has a cooling effect which lasts until much later in the month.
A very popular inquiry travelers have is they can expect to sunbathe in March. This is a complicated question because temperatures in Barcelona can see highs well into the high 60s in the month of March, but that tends to only happen towards the end of the month. If you're planning your trip towards the end of the month, or it reaches this temperature earlier, you can enjoy a day at the beach sunbathing. However, you shouldn't count on it, as April is the real start of the sunbathing season in Barcelona, and if that is what you plan on doing, you might consider booking your trip for mid-April instead.
Barcelona in Early March: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
According to the Weather Underground Almanac, you can expect early-March temperatures in Barcelona to hover around the mid- to high-teens (14°C-18°C or 57°F-64°). Night-time temperatures drop quite a bit - it's certainly still jacket-weather!
- March 5 Averages: High, 60°F, Low, 46°F, Precipitation, 0.06"
- March 5 Records: High, 67°F, Low: 35°F, Precipitation, 0.06"
- March 5, 2017: High, 61°F, Low, 42°F, Precipitation, 0"
- March 5, 2016: High, 62°F, Low, 48°F, Precipitation, 0"
- March 5, 2015: High, 67°F. Low, 40°F Precipitation, 0"
The Weather in Barcelona in Mid-March: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Mid-March weather isn't that different from earlier in the month. In fact, the last couple of years have seen a slight dip at this time of the month. You'll still need to bring a jacket for the evenings.
- March 15 Averages: High, 60°F, Low, 46°F, Precipitation, 0.06"
- March 15 Records: High, 67°F, Low, 35°F, Precipitation, 0.06"
- March 15, 2017: High, 66°F, Low, 50°F, Precipitation, 0"
- March 15, 2016: High, 58°F, Low, 46°F, Precipitation, 0"
- March 15, 2015: High, 56°F, Low, 38°F, Precipitation, 0"
The Weather in Barcelona in Late March: Average Temperatures and Recent Years' Weather
Late March sees Barcelona temperatures jump a couple of degrees. Though the evenings are still a little chilly, it wouldn't be inconceivable to sunbathe on some of the warmer days at the end of the month.
- March 25 Averages: High, 62°F, Low, 48°F, Precipitation, 0.07"
- March 25 Records: High, 69°F, Low, 42°F, Precipitation, 0.71"
- March 25, 2017: High, 56°F, Low, 38°F, Precipitation, 0.71"
- March 25, 2016: High, 61°F, Low, 46°F, Precipitation, 0.01"
- March 25, 2015: High, 69°F, Low, 42°F, Precipitation, 0.08"