Barceló Hotels & Resorts is an international hotel chain based in Spain with over 100 properties in 19 countries. It is particularly known for its beach properties in sun-drenched locations.
Barceló Maya is a complex of five all-inclusive resorts that sit side-by-side on the beach in the Puerto Aventuras area of Mexico's Mayan Riviera south of Cancun.
The Mayan Riviera is a wildly popular vacation area and Playa del Carmen is a hot spot with many all-inclusive resorts. From this base, families can explore beaches, Mayan ruins, snorkeling lagoons, and unique eco-theme parks such as Xcaret and Xel-ha.
Barcelo Maya Resorts in Puerto Aventuras
Along the white sand beaches of Puerto Aventuras, Barcelo offers five all-inclusive resorts located near each other. Collectively, the 2,751-room resorts have undergone $50 million in renovations that added the new Barcelo Maya Entertainment Center, which has a bowling alley, brand new kids' club, water park, and revamped 18-hole mini golf course. There's also a water park, huge 16,000-square-foot spa and nearly two dozen restaurant options.
The enormous property includes the following properties. (Check it out on a map.)
- Barcelo Maya Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Beach
- Barcelo Maya Caribe
- Barcelo Maya Tropical
- Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
Guests at all of these all-inclusive resorts enjoy:
- a mile of white sand beach
- natural coral reef, for snorkeling; also shelters the beach area
- multiple lagoon-style pools and kids' pools
- complimentary non-motorized water sports including snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, and paddleboats
- jogging trail
- nightly entertainment in large amphi-theater
- free scuba class in a swimming pool, on-site PADI dive center
- horseback riding, at additional charge
- luxury spa
For kids and families:
- Barcy Water Park has water slides and fountains at the Colonial pool
- shallow kiddie pools
- Barcy Club for kids ages 4 to 12
- Miniclub Miki Maya, for ages 4 to 12, day-time hours; location between by swimming pool of Caribe Beach
- kids' playground
- game room
- babysitting available
Keep in mind:
- as is common at all-inclusive resorts, meals at specialty restaurants require reservations
- pools aren't heated, which is typical at Mexico resorts.
- based on proximity to the water park and kids' clubs, Barcelo Maya Colonial is the most convenient choice for families
This brief profile is meant to introduce this resort to family vacationers; please note that the writer has not visited in person. Always check resort sites for updates.
- Edited by Suzanne Rowan Kelleher