Barceló Hotels & Resorts is an international hotel chain based in Spain with over 100 properties in 19 countries. It is particularly known for its beach properties in sun-drenched locations.
The Mayan Riviera is a wildly popular vacation area and Playa del Carmen is a hot spot with many all-inclusive resorts. From this base, families can explore beaches, Mayan ruins, snorkeling lagoons, and unique eco-theme parks such as Xcaret and Xel-ha.
Barcelo Maya Resorts
Along the white sand beaches of Puerto Aventuras, Barcelo offers five all-inclusive resorts located near each other. Collectively, the 2,751-room resorts have undergone $50 million in renovations that added the new Barcelo Maya Entertainment Center, which has a bowling alley, brand new kids' club, water park, and revamped 18-hole mini golf course. There's also a water park, huge 16,000-square-foot spa, and nearly two dozen restaurant options.
The enormous property includes the following properties:
- Barcelo Maya Colonial
- Barcelo Maya Beach
- Barcelo Maya Caribe
- Barcelo Maya Tropical
- Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe
Amenities and Things to Do
- A mile of white sand beach
- Natural coral reef, for snorkeling; also shelters the beach area
- Multiple lagoon-style pools and kids' pools
- Complimentary non-motorized water sports including snorkeling, windsurfing, sailing, and paddleboats
- Jogging trail
- Nightly entertainment in the large amphitheater
- Free scuba class in a swimming pool, on-site PADI dive center
- Horseback riding, at an additional charge
- Luxury spa
For Kids and Families
- Barcy Water Park has water slides and fountains at the Colonial pool
- Shallow kiddie pools
- Barcy Club for kids ages 4 to 12
- Miniclub Miki Maya, for ages 4 to 12, day-time hours; location between by swimming pool of Caribe Beach
- Kids' playground
- Game room
- Babysitting available
Keep in Mind
- As is common at all-inclusive resorts, meals at specialty restaurants require reservations.
- Pools aren't heated, which is typical at Mexico resorts.
- Based on proximity to the water park and kids' clubs, Barcelo Maya Colonial is the most convenient choice for families.
Edited by Suzanne Rowan Kelleher