Museums on Us is a monthly promotion offering Bank of America customers free access to select museums on the first weekend of every month. Although the program covers over 150 institutions around the United States, we're going to focus on the museums in New York City that participate.
More: Free & Pay-What-You-Wish Days at NYC Museums
01 of 03
What To Know About Museums on Us
Bank of America and Merrill Lynch credit and debit card holders are admitted free to participating institutions on the first full weekend of every month (see dates and museums below). Both debit and credit cards can be used for free admission. Children are not included (unless they have cards of their own!) and each person must have their own card (in their name) for admission. Admission excludes special exhibitions and ticketed shows.
02 of 03
Participating NYC Museums
- Brooklyn Historical Society - located in Brooklyn Heights, this museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing Brooklyn's history (Regular admission: $10/person)
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum - Located on Museum Mile, this museum focuses on historical and contemporary design. Their exhibits include an impressive dollhouse, a wallpaper designing room and lots of interactive tables. (Regular admission: $16)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art - iconic Upper East Side Art Museum, including the Cloisters and the Bruer annexes (Regular admission: $25 suggested donation)
- Museum of Arts and Design - Located on Columbus Circle, this museum collects and displays items in arts, crafts and design. They also have artists in residence. (Regular admission: $16)
- The Museum of the Moving Image - This Astoria museum is dedicated to the history of film making and features many interactive activities, special exhibitions and screenings (Regular admission: $15)
- Staten Island Museum - this Snug... Harbor museum is focused on exhibits exploring the connection between natural science, art and history (Regular Admission: $5)
- Staten Island Zoological Society - This is a small zoo on Staten Island, operated independently from NYC's other zoos/aquarium. (Regular admission: $10)
- Whitney Museum of American Art - First opened in 1931, the Whitney is now located in the Meatpacking District and has both indoor and outdoor exhibition spaces. (Regular admission: $22)
(Regular admission prices are for full-priced adults)
See the complete list of participating institutions on the Bank of America Museums on Us website.There are 150 participating museums around the United States, so this is a great opportunity to take advantage of when you're traveling. It's also good to know that the museums change from year-to-year, so always check to see what museums are currently participating.
03 of 03
Free Museum Admission Dates
The Museums on Us promotion is offered the first full weekend of every month on Saturday and Sunday during regular opening hours.
- January 2-3, 2016
- February 6-7, 2016
- March 5-6, 2016
- April 2-3, 2016
- May 7-8, 2016
- June 4-5, 2016
- July 2-3, 2016
- August 6-7, 2016
- September 3-4, 2016
- October 1-2, 2016
- November 4-5, 2016
- December 3-4, 2016