There are many schools that are part of the Baltimore Public School district to meet the needs of Baltimore's students and families.
Baltimore City Public Schools Registration and Enrollment
- Reflecting the district's strong commitment to early learning, thousands of young children are served in full-day pre-kindergarten (pre-k) programs. Pre-K and kindergarten registration typically opens at the beginning of April.
- Families with children in grade 5 can choose to attend their neighborhood school or apply to a charter school.
- Middle school students can attend a charter or neighborhood school, or choose a school.
- All high school students choose a school that meets their needs and interests.
For additional information and help, enrollment specialists are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at 443-984-2000 or at 200 E. North Avenue, room 106 during the same hours. Enrollment specialists are also available from 2:30 – 4:00 p.m. by appointment only.
Baltimore City Public Schools Calendar
It's important to understand the ins and outs of the Baltimore City Public Schools academic calendar for the current (and upcoming) year. Knowing when your child has a day off or an early dismissal will make it easier to arrange childcare and family vacations, and you'll stay up-to-date on progress reports and report cards.
School traditionally begins for students during the week before Labor Day and is completed during the first two weeks of June. The calendar has accounted for five inclement weather days at the end of the school year. If any of the five days are not used they shall be deducted from the June closing date.
The schools' calendar follows these guiding principles:
- Maximize instructional time.
- Maximize professional learning time.
- Consider what makes sense for families.
- Consider observances from multiple faiths.
- Consider state test windows.
- Consider calendars of other districts
Here is the full calendar for Baltimore Public Schools for 2016 - 2017. Of course, there are always unforeseen days off and/or early dismissals. Consider signing up for the Baltimore City Schools emails and e-newsletters here.
Days When School is Closed
- Independence Day (July 4)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Election Day (first Tuesday in November)
- Thanksgiving (last Thursday and Friday in November)
- Winter Holiday, which is usually the week between Christmas and New Years
- Martin Luther King Day (third Monday of January)
- President's Day (third Monday in February)
- Spring Break, which is usually in mid-April
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Professional Development Days (10 contractual days during the school year)
- Parent / Teacher Conferences
Report Cards and Exams
Report cards are usually distributed during the second week of November, the last week of January and the second week of April.
Senior exams are usually scheduled during the last week of May.
High school graduation is usually the first or second week of June.
Observances Where No After School Activities or Testing May Occur
- Observance of Eid al Adha
- Observance of Rosh Hashanah
- Observance of Yom Kippur