Mumbai loves beer, and the quantity consumed is growing every year. However, due to high taxes imposed, Mumbai is one of the most expensive cities to have a drink in India. You can easily end up paying five times the usual retail price for a beer at a bar. Here's a look at some of Mumbai's most well known bars, from cheap to costly, and how much you can expect to fork out for a drink.
01 of 06
If you're looking for a relatively cheap drink in a lively environment, Cafe Mondegar is the place. This conveniently located south Mumbai hangout also has jukebox and a wide variety of western food, for those who need a break from Indian cuisine. Not surprisingly it's one of Mumbai's most popular hangout bars.
- Price of a Drink: Mug of domestic tap beer, 220 rupees. Pitcher of Kingfisher beer, 880 rupees. Imported beer, 480 rupees a pint. Wine, from 850 rupees per bottle. All prices include tax.
- Address: Corner of Colaba Causeway, next to the Regal Cinema, Colaba.
02 of 06
Another top hangout spot, the Colaba Social offers beer that's a step-up from the ubiquitous Kingfisher plus some interesting cocktails, all without being too expensive. It's a collaborative work space by day and high-energy bar by night. In addition to the Colaba outlet, you'll also find Social bars in Lower Parel and Khar.
- Price of a Drink: Imported beers, 525-545 rupees. Bottled domestic beers, 115-275 rupees. Craft beers, 345 rupees. Wine, from 200 rupees per glass/950 rupees a bottle. Cocktails, 295-650 rupees. Shots, 150-475 rupees. Taxes are extra.
- Address: 24 Glen Rose Building, B.K.Boman Behram Marg, behind the Taj Hotel, Apollo Bunder, Colaba.
03 of 06
One of Mumbai's top brewpubs and the first one in the city, The Barking Deer opened in 2013. It has a rustic ambiance and is tucked away in a redeveloped mill compound in south Mumbai. Five different craft beers are made on the premises, including Belgian Wit, Blonde Ale, and India Pale Ale. Or, be adventurous and sample the chocolate stout!
- Price of a Drink: Craft beers, 275-325 rupees for a glass, or 1,000-1,200 rupees for a pitcher. Other beers, 175-400 rupees a glass, or 700 rupees to 1,450 rupees for a pitcher. Cocktails, 450-750 rupees. Wines, from 300 rupees a glass. Shots, 250-950 rupees.
- Address: Mathuradas Mill Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel.
04 of 06
Jungle-themed Bonobo is one of the hippest bars in the suburbs. It's an arty, friendly place that has a refreshing absence of any self-important attitude. Thursday is Old School Bar night, with cheap drinks all night, and it's party time on Friday and Saturday!
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Price of a Drink: Imported beers, 494 rupees. Bottled domestic beers, 216 rupees. Tap beers, 260-520 rupees. Cocktails, 442-494 rupees. Cocktail pitchers, 1,559 rupees. Shots, 216-719 rupees. Taxes are extra. The bonus: there are happy hours from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., offering buy one get one free.
- Address: Behind KFC, on Linking Road, Bandra West.
05 of 06
One of Mumbai's most unforgettable bars, Dome bar at the luxury InterContinental Hotel on Marine Drive is an outstanding place for a sunset drink. However, the drinks are unfortunately super expensive! Sadly, there are no happy hours either. You'll really be paying for the view.
- Price of a Drink: Domestic beers, 450 rupees. Imported beers, 600 rupees. Cocktails, 950-1,250 rupees. Taxes are extra.
- Address: Level 11, InterContinental Hotel, 135 Marine Drive, Mumbai.
06 of 06
Aer is an alternative upscale bar to enjoy mesmerizing sunset views with a drink, where happy hour discounts are offered from 5.30 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily. You can save 50% on cocktails and champagne (which makes it a bit more affordable). Its rooftop location on the 34th floor of the Four Seasons Hotel provides a panoramic vista of the city.
- Price of a Drink: Domestic beers, 400 rupees. Imported beers, 700-900 rupees. Cocktails, 1,300-2,000 rupees. Wine (imported), from 900 rupees per glass. Champagne, from 1,700 rupees per glass. Taxes are extra.
- Address: 114 Dr. E. Moses Road, Worli, Mumbai.