Mumbai loves beer, and the quantity consumed is growing every year. However, due to the high taxes imposed, Mumbai is one of the most expensive cities to have a drink in India. You can easily end up paying five times the usual retail price for a beer at a bar. Here's a look at some of Mumbai's most well-known bars, from cheap to costly, and how much you can expect to fork out for a drink.
AddressMetro House, 5A, Shahid Bhagat Singh Rd, Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400039, India
Phone+91 22 2202 0591
If you're looking for a relatively cheap drink in a lively environment, Cafe Mondegar is the place. This conveniently located south Mumbai hangout also has jukebox and a wide variety of western food, for those who need a break from Indian cuisine. Not surprisingly it's one of Mumbai's most popular hangout bars.
- Price of a Drink (2018): Mug of domestic tap beer, 230 rupees. Pitcher of Kingfisher beer, 920 rupees. Imported beer, 500 rupees a pint. Wine ranges from 800 - 2000 rupees per 750 ml bottle. All prices include tax.
- Address: Corner of Colaba Causeway, next to the Regal Cinema, Colaba.
Another top hangout spot, the Colaba Social offers beer that's a step-up from the ubiquitous Kingfisher plus some interesting cocktails, all without being too expensive. It's a collaborative work space by day and high-energy bar by night. In addition to the Colaba outlet, you'll also find Social bars in Lower Parel and Khar.
- Price of a Drink (2019): Imported beers, 540-590 rupees. Bottled domestic beers, 150-315 rupees. Craft beers, 380 rupees. Wine, from 210 rupees per glass/1050 rupees a bottle. Cocktails, 295-850 rupees. Shots, 180-495 rupees. Taxes are extra.
- Address: 24 Glen Rose Building, B.K.Boman Behram Marg, behind the Taj Hotel, Apollo Bunder, Colaba.
Address2nd floor, Vithalbhai Patel Road,, Phase II, Bandra West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400050, India
Phone+91 22 2605 5353
Jungle-themed Bonobo is one of the hippest bars in the suburbs. It's an arty, friendly place that has a refreshing absence of any self-important attitude. Thursday is Old School Bar night, with cheap drinks all night, and it's party time on Friday and Saturday!
- Price of a Drink (2019): Imported beers, 494 rupees. Bottled domestic beers, 216 rupees. Tap beers, 260-520 rupees. Cocktails, 442-494 rupees. Cocktail pitchers, 1,559 rupees. Shots, 216-719 rupees. Taxes are extra. The bonus: there are happy hours from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m., offering buy one get one free.
- Address: Behind KFC, on Linking Road, Bandra West.
One of Mumbai's most unforgettable bars, Dome bar at the luxury InterContinental Hotel on Marine Drive is an outstanding place for a sunset drink. However, the drinks are unfortunately super expensive! Sadly, there are no happy hours either. You'll really be paying for the view.
- Price of a Drink: Domestic beers, 550 rupees. Imported beers, 600 - 825 rupees. Cocktails, 1050-1,450 rupees. Taxes are extra.
- Address: Level 11, InterContinental Hotel, 135 Marine Drive, Mumbai.
Aer is an alternative upscale bar to enjoy mesmerizing sunset views with a drink, where happy hour discounts are offered from 5.30 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily. You can save 50% on cocktails and champagne (which makes it a bit more affordable). Its rooftop location on the 34th floor of the Four Seasons Hotel provides a panoramic vista of the city.
- Price of a Drink: Domestic beers, 400 rupees. Imported beers, 700-900 rupees. Cocktails, 1,300-2,000 rupees. Wine (imported), from 900 rupees per glass. Champagne, from 1,700 rupees per glass. Taxes are extra.
- Address: 114 Dr. E. Moses Road, Worli, Mumbai.