Update, 2012: it appears that this resort is no longer an all inclusive.
Background about the Avalon Grand Cancun
The Avalon Resorts group has several resorts in the Cancun area: Avalon Reef Club on Isla Mujeres, and the Avalon Baccara boutique hotel which is "two doors down" from the Avalon Grand Cancun.
The Avalon Grand Cancun is in the Hotel Zone on a 14-mile stretch of Caribbean beach. Like many Cancun beaches, the beach has suffered hurricane damage; see note about beach conditions, below.
Avalon Cancun Grand- Features
- Facilities include adults pool, kids' pool, spa, several restaurants.
- Activities include beach volleyball, pool volleyball, water aerobics, bingo, Spanish lessons, dance lessons, beach parties.
- Guests can eat and play at the Avalon Baccara Cancun and the Avalon Reef Club on Isla Mujeres.
- Wild Things Kids Club has activities for ages 4 to 10
- For those who want to shop and dine (or just eat at Planet Hollywood) in the Hotel Zone, the Avalon Cancun Grand is well-located.
- Interesting day-trips can be made to the Mayan Riviera area south of Cancun: Mayan ruins, snorkeling lagoons, cenotes, eco-parks Xcaret and Xel-ha; read about the Mayan Riviera
- Tour companies offer excursions for snorkeling at a coral reef, glass-bottom boats, catamaran rides, sunset cruises
- Many guests take a shuttle boat day-trip to sister resort Avalon Reef Club on Isla Mujeres 6-1/2 miles away. The beautiful shallow beach there is great for kids.
Find Out More about the Avalon Cancun Grand:
*Always check resort web site for updates!
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary accommodation for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy.