Each year about one million people, Arizona residents as well as visitors from other states, come to Phoenix to attend the Arizona State Fair. The phrase "something for everyone" has never had more meaning than when applied to the fair. Of course, kids and teens love the fair, but adults can enjoy the entertainment and activities just like their younger counterparts.
When is the Arizona State Fair?
The dates for the 133rd Arizona State Fair are October 5–28, 2018.
The Fair is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Wednesday through Friday the Arizona State Fair opens at noon. On Saturdays and Sundays gates open at 11 a.m.
2017 Single Day Regular Admission
Ages 6-13: $7
Ages 14-54: $10
Ages 55 and up: $7
Ages 5 and under are admitted free
Included in the Price of Admission
Going to the Arizona State Fair doesn't have to use up your monthly entertainment budget. There are plenty of things to do that are free once you are in. Rodeos, racing, petting zoo, science, 4-H exhibits, and more are available at no extra charge once you have paid your general admission to the fair.
The Midway is where a lot of the action takes place. You can buy tickets in various package options, including all day ride wristbands. There's a service charge for buying tickets online.
Additional Admission Packages
In addition to all day wristbands for rides, Season Passes and Fast Passes (front-of-the-line ride passes), VIP parking and advance daily admission passes are also offered.
You can check out all the ticket package options online.
Win First Prize
There are several competitions at the Arizona State Fair this year, including various cooking and eating contests as well as online contests.
Where Is It?
The State Fair is held at the Fairgrounds (where else?) at 1826 W. McDowell Rd (19th Ave & McDowell Rd) in Phoenix, AZ.
There is a $10 charge for parking at the fairgrounds. Parking is $5 in the 20th Ave. & Encanto parking lot (SW corner of 19th Ave & Encanto). You can park for free at the State Capitol Building parking lot at Washington and 19th Avenue on Friday nights and after 10 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. That's about a mile and a half away. Here's a map, parking details, shuttle details and directions to the Fairgrounds.
The Arizona Department of Transportation usually provides detailed motorist information, including any travel or road restrictions, for this event. Call 5-1-1, then *7. The call is free.
Arizona State Fair 2018 Concert Schedule
One of the most popular attractions at the Arizona State Fair has to be the concert program. Where else can you see internationally known performers for the price of admission?
General Admission concert seating is free with your admission to the Arizona State Fair. You can also reserve seats in advance; reserved seats are cheaper than your typical concert tour ticket charge. You may purchase tickets for reserved seats:
- at the Box Office located at 1826 W. McDowell Road in Phoenix from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday - Friday. The Arizona State Fair box office is open for walk-up sales only, no phone calls.
Here's this year's concert schedule:
Friday, October 5 at 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 6 at 7 p.m.
The Flaming Lips
Wednesday, October 10 at 7 p.m.
Thursday, October 11 at 7 p.m.
Friday, October 12 at 7 p.m.
Wendesday, October 17 at 7 p.m.
Thursday, October 18 at 7 p.m.
Friday, October 19 at 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 20 at 7 p.m.
Big and Rich
Wednesday, October 24 at 7 p.m.
Thursday, October 25 at 7 p.m.
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Friday, October 26 at 7 p.m.
Old School Jam
Tip: Doors open one hour before concert time. For popular concerts, it is not unusual for people to line up an hour before the doors open (two hours before concert time) for general admission seating. There are more than 14,000 seats in the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Arizona State Fair Annual Favorite Attractions
Arizona Milk Producers’ Milking Parlor
Copper Gloves Boxing
Flying Meatball Circus
Fry’s Culinary Stage
Godfrey The Magician
The Great American Petting Zoo
Kerr’s Farm Tours
Roberto the Magnificent
Sale of Champions
Swifty Swine Swimming and Racing Pig Show
Thunderbird Model Railroad Club Display
Tyzen the Hypnotist
Quarter Midget Racing
FMX & Democross & Freestyle Monster Trucks
Figure 8 Racing
High School Rodeo
Bring Your Appetite and Your Courage!
Arizona State Fair foods are always a big hit, with something new every year. My favorite fair foods are pretty traditional. You know, like spuds and chocolate covered scorpions.
Discounts on Admission and Rides at the Arizona State Fair
The only thing better than going to the Arizona State Fair is getting a great deal when you go! Here are the special promotions and discounts usually offered at the Arizona State Fair. Ride promotions do not include Extreme Rides, Gravity Storm, or rock wall rides. These offers may not be used in conjunction with other offers or coupons. No refunds.
Admissions are available to purchase online at a discounted price before the Arizona State Fair begins. A General Admission ticket is good for any one day of the Fair and admits one person.
After opening day you can check online to find discounts and bargains for almost every day that the Arizona State Fair takes place!
Note: Ride promotions may exclude certain rides and activities.
Where to Stay: Hotels and Motels Within About Three Miles of the Arizona State Fairgrounds
People come from all over the country to attend the Arizona State Fair, and it can be difficult to determine which hotel to choose. Here are a few things for you to consider.
- The address of the Fairgrounds is 1826 W. McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85007. It is located on McDowell Road at 18th Avenue. This location is in the middle of the City of Phoenix, and it is west of Central Avenue.
- If you want to stay close, your best bet would be in the following zip codes: West of Central Avenue: 85003, 85007, 85009, 85013, 85015, 85031, 85035 and 85043. East of Central Avenue: 85004, 85006, 85008, 85012, 85014, 85016, and 85034. All of these zip codes will put you within ten miles of the Fairgrounds. The higher the zip code, the farther away you'll be. Sky Harbor International Airport is in zip code 85034, and it is about seven miles away.
- There are some pretty seedy hotels and motels in downtown Phoenix, and in the immediate area near the Fairgrounds. Before you make a reservation, either have someone check out the property for you, or stick with the well-known chains.
- If you will be using public transportation to get from your motel to the Arizona State Fair, several bus routes will get you there. If you aren't sure if the motel you’ve selected is easily accessible to a bus route, get transportation advice directly from the motel. Note: light rail does not come directly to the AZ State Fair, but you might be able to connect by bus (or take a long walk). Here's a map of hotels on the Valley Metro Rail route.
- The Arizona State Fair provides free parking and a free shuttle from the State Capitol in downtown Phoenix on Saturdays and Sundays. Shuttle details are available here.
Americas Best Value Inn
424 West Van Buren Street, Phoenix, 85003
Check guest reviews and prices for Americas Best Value Inn on TripAdvisor.
1344 N 27th Ave, Phoenix, 85009
Check guest reviews and prices for Comfort Inn on TripAdvisor.
Extended Stay America Phoenix Midtown
217 W Osborn Rd, Phoenix, 85013
Check guest reviews and prices for Extended Stay America Phoenix Midtown on TripAdvisor.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix
2520 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, 85004
Check guest reviews and prices for Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix on TripAdvisor.
160 W Catalina Dr, Phoenix, 85013
Check guest reviews and prices for Hampton Inn on TripAdvisor.
Hilton Garden Inn
4000 N. Central Ave., Phoenix, 85012
Check guest reviews and prices for Hilton Garden Inn on TripAdvisor.
Hilton Phoenix Suites
10 E. Thomas Rd., Phoenix, 85012
Check guest reviews and prices for Hilton Phoenix Suites on TripAdvisor.
La Quinta Inn
2725 N Black Canyon Hwy, Phoenix, 85009
Check guest reviews and prices for La Quinta Inn on TripAdvisor.
402 W. Van Buren St., Phoenix, 85003
Check guest reviews and prices for Rodeway Inn on TripAdvisor.
If you are unfamiliar with the greater Phoenix area, this map will help you see where the cities are in relation to one another.
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.