Are you tired of being bothered during dinner by pesky telemarketers? We all know that they're just doing their jobs but it can be a pain when telemarketers call you. Wouldn't it be great if you could tell them do not call me again and they'd listen? In Arkansas, you can stop some of them from calling you by simply requesting your name be put on a "Do Not Call" list.
It only takes a few clicks to register for the national Do Not Call List. After you register, your phone number should show up on the registry the next day.
It usually takes 31 days for your number to be removed from sales call lists. You can check and see if you're on the registry by visiting donotcall.gov or calling 1-888-382-1222.
A few businesses will still be able to call:
- Anyone with written permission to call you. That permission overrides the Do Not Call registry, unless you have revoked it. If you revoke permission, keep a record of when you did and who you talked to.
- Businesses with whom you have had a relationship with in the past 36 months. Again, you may revoke permission to call you for further sales.
- Anyone calling regarding an outstanding debt or obligation. You can not revoke permission for debt collection, but there are laws regarding what they can and can't do. If you feel that a collector is harassing you, you can file a complaint with the FDCPA.
- Motor vehicle dealers, insurance agents, real estate agents, funeral establishments or from licensed investment brokers regarding the sale of their products and services.
- Volunteers calling on behalf of a charitable organization.
- Newspapers regarding advertising or sales.
- Banks relating to banking services other than credit card offers.
- Political calls, charitable calls, informational calls and telephone survey calls.
If you ask a company not to call you again, even if they have done with business with you or had previous permission to call, they must honor your request. Record the time and date of the call and the agent you were speaking with so you can file a complaint if they refuse to comply.
You can join the Do Not Call registry on the FTC's donotcall.gov. All you need to do is enter your name, phone numbers and an email address (the email is to confirm your phone number). It's free to sign up.
You can delete your number by calling 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number you want to delete.
Once on the list, if a telemarketer does bother you, you can file a complaint easily via the web or phone. You can also complain to the Arkansas Attorney General's office, especially if you feel the call is a hoax or otherwise criminal in nature.
Do I Need to Renew My Registration?
Once a number is registered, it is registered until the number is reassigned, unless you ask for it to be removed. You do need to register again if you change phone numbers.