Whether you're visiting Barcelona in northwestern Spain or traveling tot he southern coastal city of Gibraltar, April is a great time to plan a vacation to Spain, though the weather and events vary by region.
While the southern Spanish region of Andalusia experiences slightly warmer weather than the northern portion of the country, the rainy season begins in April, meaning you should expect to bring a raincoat and umbrella along with layers for the fluctuating temperatures over the month no matter where you travel.
Along with warmer weather—and despite a few spring showers—you can also expect cities across the country will take the opportunity to host a variety of seasonal events, festivals, and parties including the week-long Semana Santa and Easter celebrations (April 1, 2018).
When picking out where to go in Spain in April, it really comes down to what you want to do and what you want to see during your travel. All of Spain's best cities are relatively warm this time of year, but you should be sure to check out the regional weather before you go.
Spain Weather by Region and City
Depending on where you're staying during your trip to Spain, you're likely to experience vastly different weather no matter what time of year you visit. However, the high and low temperatures for the entire country during the month of April stay near 62 and 47 F and Spain only sees about five days of rain during the month, on average.
There are three main weather regions of Spain, each with slightly different April temperature averages: Andalusia in the south, Basque in the north, and Santiago in the northwest. Andalusia has the warmest and driest month with 68 F as the high and 52 F as the average low, while Basque Country experiences highs of 63 and lows of 46 F.
If you're traveling to Madrid in April, you can expect an average high of 63 F and low of 43 F, though you might also see heavy rain as well as mini heatwaves this month. Barcelona, on the other hand, is a bit drier throughout the month with the same average high and a slightly warmer low average temperature of 46 F.
What to Experience: April Events in Spain
As the weather gets warmer, especially later in the month, cities around Spain host annual and special events in celebration of the spring each April. From Easter and Semana Santa celebrations to start of the month to film and art festivals to round out April, these are the events you can expect to find this spring in Spain:
- La Passio, a performance of "The Passion of the Christ" takes place every Sunday in Esparraguera, Catalonia.
- Bullfighting season starts in Madrid, Madrid on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018, and continues throughout the month.
- Mostra de Cinema Llatinoamericà de Lleida is a Latin American film festival that takes place in Lleida, Catalonia on April 20 to 27, 2018.
- Malaga de Festival is a one-day arts festival that takes place in Malaga, Costa del Sol on March 23 and April 12, 2018.
- Medio Maratón is a half marathon and 5K run that takes place in Madrid on April 8, 2018.
- Human Rights Film Festival takes place in San Sebastian on April 20 to 27, 2018.
- Fiestas de Primavera de Murcia is a spring street festival that takes place in Murcia March 31 to April 8, 2018.
- Sant Jordi Festival is a local celebration that combines Valentines Day traditions with a celebration of the lives of Cervantes and Shakespeare, who both died on the same day, which takes place in Barcelona on April 23 every year.
- Festimad is the festival of musical diversity that takes place in Madrid from April 18 to May 6, 2018.
- Festival de Malaga is a Spanish-language film festival that takes place in Malaga from April 13 to 22, 2018.
No matter where you go, remember to check the weather ahead of time and pack accordingly—you'll be glad you did.