- Average High: 55°F (13°C)
- Average Low: 41°F (5°C)
- Average wet days: 9 days
- Average daily sunshine: 5.5 hours
- You may have heard of 'April showers' but this isn't London's wettest month.
What To Wear
- You could probably get away with a T-shirt and a lightweight waterproof jacket in April but it's best to pack sweaters and extra layers too
- Always bring an umbrella when exploring London!
- London Marathon (late April). This huge London sporting event attracts over 40,000 runners from across the globe. Starting in Greenwich Park, the 26.2-mile route passes some of London's most iconic sights including the Cutty Sark, Tower Bridge, Canary Wharf and Buckingham Palace. Around 500,000 spectators line the route to cheer on the elite athletes as well as the amateur runners.
- Good Friday and Easter Monday (Note: Easter can fall in March or April)
April Annual Events
- Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race (late March or early April). This annual rowing race between students from Oxford and Cambridge Universities was first fought in 1829 on the River Thames and now attracts crowds of around 250,000. The 4-mile course starts near Putney Bridge and finishes near Chiswick Bridge. Many of the pubs that line the riverside put on special events for spectators.
- Easter in London (Easter can fall in March or April). Easter events in London range from traditional church services to Easter egg hunts to child-friendly activities at some of the biggest museums in the city.
- The London Coffee Festival (early April). Celebrate London's coffee scene by attending this annual festival at the Truman Brewery in Brick Lane. Enjoy tastings, demonstrations, interactive workshops, live music and coffee-infused cocktails.
- London Harness Horse Parade (Easter Monday). Although not technically in London itself, this historic annual event at the South of England Showground in West Sussex features a parade that aims to encourage good welfare for the capital's working horses.
- Queen's Birthday (April 21). The Queen's official birthday is celebrated on June 11 but her actual birthday is April 21. The occasion is marked by a 41-gun birthday salute in Hyde Park at midday followed by a 62-gun salute at the Tower of London at 1 p.m.
- St George's Day (April 23). Each year the patron saint of England is celebrated in Trafalgar Square with a festival inspired by 13th-century feasting.
|Choose another month|