Occasionally, circumstances arise in which we need a little help. If you are struggling financially and need food stamps in Memphis, Tennessee, read below to find out how to apply.
How to Apply
- Check your eligibility.
- Fill out an application. If you are eligible, you can fill out an application online or in person at one of the following locations:
- 170 North Main Street, Memphis, TN 38103
- 3230 Jackson Ave., Memphis, TN 38122
- 3360 South Third Street, Memphis, TN 38109
- Gather documentation of identity. If you apply for food stamps in person or if you are asked to come in for an interview, you must bring the following original documents: proof of citizenship such as birth certificate, passport, or citizenship or immigration papers; proof of identity such as driver's license, voter’s registration card, Health Department or school records, I-94 card, passport, or Resident Alien card; proof of age such as birth certificate, or hospital, baptismal, or school records; and proof of residency such as rent receipts, mortgage book, property tax statement, or homeowner's insurance.
- Gather financial documentation. You will also need to supply the Department of Human Services with proof of the following: cost of utilities such as MLGW and phone bills; value of life insurance such as policies and bills; income such as check stubs and W-2 forms; financial resources such as bank accounts, CDs, savings bonds, property, and automobiles; medical records, needed only in case of a disability claim; absent parent, any documentation showing where absent parent is; deceased parent such as death certificate; unemployment such as layoff notice, employer statement, or unemployment benefits records.
- Be prepared to wait. It can take up to 45 days for your application to be approved or denied. A DHS caseworker may also contact you to provide additional information or documentation.
- There is frequently a long wait at DHS offices. For this reason, it is best to submit your application online.
- Once approved, you will not actually receive stamps. These days, your food stamp benefits will be loaded onto an EBT card that works like a debit card.
What You Need
- Documentation of identity.
- Documentation of financial situation.