The Bottom Line
The Andaz West Hollywood is one of the hippest hotels on the Sunset Strip. From Jacob Hashimoto's "Tapestry" sculpture out front and guest-created masterpieces and mobile desk clerks in the lobby to the open-kitchen RH restaurant and the rooftop pool, the Andaz oozes West Hollywood laid back sophistication.
- Stylish design
- Central West Hollywood location, popular with locals and traveling celebs
- The highest rooftop swimming pool in LA
- Mobile desk clerks can check you in without leaving your limo
- Overlooks the Hollywood Hills and the Sunset Strip
- Enclosed balconies help reduce noise from the strip
- Enclosed balconies, no open windows
- Address: 8401 Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, California 90069
- Phone: (323) 656-1234
- Neighborhood: West Hollywood
- Room Rates: $$$ (search for the best rates at TripAdvisor.com)
- Website: http://westhollywood.hyatt.com
- Property Amenities: pool, restaurant, bar, business center, fitness center, currency exchange, dry cleaning & laundry
- Room Amenities: Free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, iPod dock, free soft drinks, free local phone calls, in-room spa services
- Parking: Valet
- Discounts: AAA, Senior Citizen
- Bonus: Free "bar bites" at the RH Bar during Happy Hour 5-7 pm
Expert Review - Andaz West Hollywood Hotel
The Andaz West Hollywood, completely made over in 2009 from the former "riot Hyatt," is the second in Hyatt's new line of trendy Andaz hotels (the first was the Andaz London).
The first thing you notice is that there's no front desk in the lobby. Roaming desk clerks can check you in with custom hand-held notebook computers.
Architectural features in the guestrooms include curved ceilings. Sunrooms overlooking the Strip or the Hollywood Hills replace the balconies from which all manner of debris (and sometimes people) were thrown in the riot Hyatt days.
The minimalist furnishings and lack of embellishment allow the space to be the primary statement.
The Andaz may not be the tallest hotel in town, but because of its elevation, the Andaz has the highest rooftop swimming pool in LA, with striking views from downtown to the Pacific Ocean on a clear day. A rooftop ballroom and sundeck share the view.
The open-kitchen RH Restaurant off the lobby is bright and airy in an upscale cafeteria kind of way with a design-your-own market-to-table salad and sandwich menu as well as chef-created delicacies. The restaurant and bar are popular with locals as well as travelers.
The Andaz periodically hosts live music in the bar, art exhibits on the Mezzanine and in other public areas, and public yoga, DJs and other events on the rooftop.
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary services for review purposes. While it has not influenced this review, TripSavvy.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our Ethics Policy.