The I amsterdam Card is a visitor discount card that offers free access to more than 25 Amsterdam museums and attractions, discounted admission to several others, free use of public transport, a free canal cruise and many coupons for discounts at restaurants and shops. The card is available for 24-, 48- or 72-hour intervals. As you may have guessed, the card gets its play-on-words name from the official slogan of Amsterdam tourism: "I amsterdam."
Getting An I amsterdam Card
First, choose the card that fits your needs and length of visit: a 24-hour, 48-hour, 72-hour, or 96-hour card. You may preorder your card online in advance of your trip and have it delivered to your home in under a week anywhere in the world, or to save on delivery costs you may pick it up upon your arrival in Amsterdam. You can also purchase the I amsterdam Card online or at one of the many selling points in Amsterdam.
The usage period begins only with the first time you use the card at one of the participating sites. The card is good for one visit to each attraction. Unfortunately, cardholders do not bypass general lines at these sights.
Free or Discounted Admission with the I amsterdam Card
The I amsterdam Card grants visitors free admission to more than 25 museums and attractions, including:
- Museum Amstelkring (Our Lord in the Attic)
- Museum van Loon
- Nieuwe Kerk
- Oude Kerk
- Rembrandt House Museum
- Van Gogh Museum
Please note that admission to the Anne Frank House is not included (free or discounted) with the I amsterdam Card.
Also Free With the I amsterdam Card
- One canal cruise with Holland International
- One canal cruise with Blue Boat Company
- Use of public transport, including trams, buses and the underground system (does not include the Dutch national railways, which provides the fast train to Schiphol airport).
Visitors with an I amsterdam Card also receive discounts at several other participating sites and restaurants. See the full list.
Pros of the I amsterdam Card:
- Great for visitors who plan to visit at least three museums or attractions. For example, admission fees to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum are approximately €17 for each museum. With just one more museum visit, the 24-hour card will have almost paid for itself.
- The free access to transportation can help visitors avoid the somewhat confusing tram ticket system.
- The card encourages visitors to see museums in Amsterdam that they may not have considered.
- The card comes with a full-color guide with map.
Cons of the I amsterdam Card
- The card does not grant holders the right to jump lines at participating sights.
- Could be a waste of money if you don't cram in enough museums in the usage period or take advantage of free transportation. Plan ahead to make sure you make the most of your money.