Sometimes you find yourself needing something in the middle of the night. Maybe you can't sleep. Or maybe you just got off from work and it's 3 a.m. Need something non-essential, like water balloons or a DVD? Aren't feeling well and need some cough medicine? Maybe you just want a bite to eat. Here are some places in the Phoenix area that can help you, 24 hours a day.
- 5 & Diner: Burgers and shakes. There are several 5 & Diners around the Valley, but the only one open 24 hours is the original one at 5220 N. 16th Street in Phoenix.
- 7-11:A convenience store with many locations. From their web site: "Big Gulp lovers gulp over 30 million gallons of fountain soft drinks per year at 7-Eleven." If you are thirsty in the middle of the night, this would be the obvious choice!
- 24 Hour Fitness: Not everyone that wants to work out has a normal 9 to 5 schedule. 24 Hour Fitness lets you sweat any time of the day or night. Not every location in Greater Phoenix is open all day every day. Some are open 24 hours certain days of the week. The locations at Metro Parkway, Mesa Dobson and Gilbert are open 24 hours all the time.
- Adult Stores: Many of these are open 24 hours. They offer adult videos, books, and magazines. Some have arcades and theaters with adult material.
- ampm: A convenience store with many locations. They are most often associated with Arco Gas Stations, which are also open 24 hours.
- Auto Zone: Need a battery? An air filter? A distributor cap? Auto Zone is an auto parts store. The store located at 4229 W. Cactus Rd. (43rd Avenue and Cactus) is open 24 hours a day.
- Casino Gambling: There are several casinos in the Phoenix area and they are all open 24 hours a day.
- Circle K: There's sure to be one near you if you find that you need snacks, beer or wine, limited groceries, lottery tickets or money orders. Use the Store Locator function at the web site to find a store near you.
- Community Information & Referral: Sometimes people need help in the middle of the night. If you have questions about basic needs or emergency assistance, where to find self-help groups or where to go to have fun, their 24 hour trained specialists can help. Calls can be placed anonymously.
- CVS Pharmacy: Drugstore and pharmacy. There are several stores that are open 24 hours, have a 24-hour pharmacy and do photo processing all day and all night. The website makes it easy to find them. Go to the store locator, select Arizona, and check the 24 hours option.
- Del Taco: A fast-food chain, with more than 25 locations in the greater Phoenix area. The drive-thru is open 24 hours.
- Denny's: Denny's is a family restaurant with many locations around the Phoenix metro area and also elsewhere in Arizona.
- Gus' New York Pizza: Pizza, suns, and wings in Tempe near ASU.
- Jack in the Box: Jack's fast food places have many locations where the drive-thru window is open 24 hours if you need a meal in a hurry.
- FedEx Office: Need something copied and bound for that presentation tomorrow morning? Kinko's provides printing, copying, and related services. There are 24-hour locations in Peoria, Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Ahwatukee, and Chandler. Unfortunately, you cannot tell from their website which ones are open all night. You'll have to get on the phone and call around.
- QuikTrip: Relatively new to the Phoenix market, these convenience stores/gas stations are open 24/7.
- Waffle House: Waffles, steaks, eggs and the famous Waffle House songs are served 365 days a year. There are more than ten of them in the area.
- Wal-Mart Supercenter: If you need it they probably have it. Sundries, clothing, food, hardware, appliances and more. Glendale, Surprise, Peoria, Avondale, Goodyear, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, and Apache Junction all have at least one Supercenter store. All but one store in Mesa are open 24 hours.
- Walgreens: Walgreens is a drug store chain. Over the counter medicines and health products, toys, cosmetics, small electronics. A small amount of clothing and food is also available. There are about 10 Walgreens stores that are 24-hour operations. Locations in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa.
- Whataburger: You may not be able to go in and sit down, but you can always go through the drive-thru.
- WinCo Foods: Warehouse grocery stores including produce, meat, deli, bakery and bulk foods. Cash or debit cards only. Check for coupons at the website. Locations in North Phoenix and Glendale.
Please remember, the hours of operation of all businesses here are subject to change without notice. If you are not sure if a business is open, the best bet is to call first and verify their hours.
Note: Some fast-food chains, like McDonald's and Burger King, have 24-hour drive-thru windows, but this practice is not universally adopted by franchises. Unless it is easy to determine which locations are open 24 hours from the central website, they are not included in this list.