Alice in Wonderland Ride at Disneyland California
Alice in Wonderland has some of the cutest ride vehicles in Disneyland, made to look like colorful caterpillars. It follows Alice's adventures with the Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter and Queen of Hearts.
The story is based on the 1951 Alice in Wonderland film. After you board your caterpillar vehicle, you'll through a stylized garden of oversized plants that help with the illusion that you shrank. You go uphill and then down the rabbit hole. You'll pass scenes from the movie that include the Queen's rose garden, the croquet match, and the Mad Hatter's Un-birthday party.
Along the way, the Queen of Hearts will order your execution: "Off with their heads" But don't worry, you'll escape unharmed. The vehicles descend in a winding path on a giant vine on their way to the final scene at the Mad Tea Party.
What You Need to Know About Alice in Wonderland
We polled 218 of our readers to find out what they think about Alice. 85% of them said It's a must-do or ride it if you have time.
- Location: Alice in Wonderland is in Fantasyland.
- Rating: ★★★
- Restrictions: No height restrictions. Children under age seven years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
- Ride Time: 3 minutes
- Recommended for: Smaller children
- Fun Factor: Medium
- Wait Factor: Medium
- Fear Factor: Low
- Herky-Jerky Factor: Low
- Nausea Factor: Low
- Seating: The ride vehicles look like a caterpillar. They have two rows of bench seats that can hold two people per row. You step up just slightly to get in.
- Accessibility: ECVs and wheelchairs should enter through the exit. You have to transfer into the ride vehicle. More about visiting Disneyland in a wheelchair or ECV
How to Have More Fun on Alice in Wonderland
- This ride closes if it rains, so if it's threatening, head here early.
- Music from parades can drown out the audio in the tunnel when you first enter Wonderland. Go at another time if you can.
- The ride also closes early when there are fireworks.
- If you're riding with a child, the safety bar may not come back far enough to hold them securely. Hang on for extra safety.
- Don't let the lines confuse you. Alice and the Mad Tea Party are so close together that it's easy to get in the wrong one. All you have to do is pay attention to the sign when you get in line.
More About Disneyland Rides
You can see all the Disneyland rides at a glance on the Disneyland Ride Sheet. If you want to browse through them starting with the best-rated, start with the Haunted Mansion and follow the navigation.
While you're thinking about rides, you should also download Our Recommended Disneyland Apps (they're all free!) and Get Some Proven Tips to Minimize Your Disneyland Wait Time.
Fun Facts About Alice in Wonderland Ride
Alice is the only dark ride built at Disneyland between 1955 and 1983.
The narration was done by Kathryn Beaumont, the original voice of Alice.
Alice in Wonderland is unique to Disneyland Park; you won’t find it anywhere else. It is built over Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. It's also the only example in all of Disney parks of two rides designed using the story from the same film.
Outside the ride, you'll find the Cheshire cat lounging in a hole in the rock. The nearby restrooms have an Alice in Wonderland theme, with playing card doors.
Disney's WED Enterprises (the precursor to Imagineering) designed the ride, but Arrow Development in Mountain View, CA did all the engineering work, construction, and installation.
In the beginning, Alice had two rooms which have now been removed: The Upside Down Room and the Oversized Room. In 1983, those rooms were eliminated, and the Mad Hatter's Un-Birthday scene moved to the end of the ride. At the same time, the Mad Tea Party moved in right next door, making a double dose of Alice all in a small area.
In 2014, an upgrade to address a safety issue also included improvements inside. It now has digitally projected images and effects and new Cheshire Cat special effects. At the same time, Imagineers addressed a common complaint that Alice did not appear anywhere in the ride with her name, adding her to the Tulgey Wood and Mad Tea Party scenes.