During the Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend, hundreds of Scottish clansmen parade with their bagpipes through Old Town Alexandria. The family-friendly holiday event is a traditional favorite of the Northern Virginia community and a great day for visitors to spend the day exploring the charming historic town. In 1749, the city of Alexandria was officially established by three Scottish merchants and named after its original founder John Alexander, also of Scottish descent. Today, the city continues celebrating its heritage with a weekend of festivities including a tour of historic homes, a children’s tea party, a Celtic Concert and a Christmas Marketplace and Café.
Alexandria's holiday events are among the best of the region, so be sure to mark your calendar.
The Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend is one of the largest fundraising activities for the Campagna Center, a non-profit organization that serves children and families in need in Alexandria, Virginia. Campagna Center programs include Alexandria Head Start and Early Head Start; Campagna Kids, the Campagna Learning Center - Arlandria Project; Wright to Read, the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and Building Better Futures.
Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend events will be held at the George Washington Masonic Memorial at 101 Callahan Drive in Alexandria.
All events are held rain or shine.
Scottish Christmas Walk Parade
Hundreds of Scottish clansmen march through Old Town Alexandria with their bagpipes in a traditional holiday parade. Also participating are pipe and drum bands, Scottish dancers, re-enactment groups, Scottie dog groups, dignitaries and, of course, Santa Claus.
- Date & Time: Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. Rain or shine.
- Parade Route: Beginning at the intersection of Wilkes Street and South St. Asaph Street, the parade will head north on South St. Asaph Street to Queen Street, turn right on Queen Street to North Fairfax Street, then turn right and head south on North Fairfax Street. The parade will then turn right on King Street, and pass the reviewing stand at King and Royal Streets (Market Square) to the ending point at the intersection of King and Pitt Streets. See a map of Alexandria
A Christmas Marketplace and Heather and Greens Sales
Boutique style shopping offers unique holiday gifts and holiday decorations with a Scottish flair.
- December 1, 2017, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (7 to 10:30 p.m. for Taste of Scotland guests only)
Holiday Designer Tour of Homes
This special annual event features a tour of historic Old Town Alexandria homes decorated for the holidays by acclaimed interior designers and local florists.
- Location: Select homes in Old Town, Alexandria
- Date & Time: Saturday, December 2, 2017. 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Admission: Tickets are required. Advance Purchase - $35.
Official Website: www.campagnacenter.org/scottishwalkweekend
At sundown on the day of the Scottish Christmas Walk parade, Alexandria's harbor lights up as more than 50 illuminated boats cruise the Potomac River at the historic waterfront. Don't miss the Holiday Boat Parade of Lights and festivities beginning at 3 p.m.
The Northern Virginia community celebrates the holidays with a variety of seasonal events. See more about Christmas in Old Town Alexandria