- Akila McConnell is a freelance travel and food writer who has been touring the world full-time since 2009. She has visited 40 countries on five continents.
- Her writing has appeared at the Food Traveler's Handbook, Wandr’ly Magazine, and Problogger, among others.
- She maintains two travel blogs: the award-winning The Road Forks focuses on culinary travel and the newer The Road Unleashed focuses on traveling with pets.
Akila McConnell is a former writer with TripSavvy, specializing in culinary travel topics for nearly three years.
Akila has traveled to 40 countries across five continents, including road-tripping from England to Turkey and back with her husband and two dogs. She has hunted truffles in Italy, sniffed barrels of wine in New Zealand, cooked mouth-blistering curries in Thailand, and gathered around a roasting kangaroo tail with Australian aboriginals. Upon arrival to any new place, her first question always is, “What should we eat?”
Her writing has appeared in the Food Traveler's Handbook, Wandr’ly Magazine, and Problogger, among others, and on her own food and travel blog, The Road Forks. She was a Lonely Planet featured publisher from 2009 to 2010.
In addition to writing, Akila owns an Atlanta-based guiding company and develops all of its tours to help locals and tourists learn about the breadth and depth of Southern food.
Akila graduated from Emory University with degrees in accounting and philosophy and earned a law degree from Duke University.Awards and Publications
- Iglucruise Award for Highly Recommended Foodie Travel Sites
- "The Perfect Vista: Breathtaking," second place winner in Grantourismo and HomeAway UK June 2010 Blogging Competition
- "On the Bamboo Train," first place winner in Grantourismo and HomeAway UK April 2010 Blogging Competition
About TripSavvy and Dotdash
TripSavvy writers are on-the-ground experts — they speak the local language, know how to catch their city’s tram, train or bus, and definitely have tabs on the best of everything in town, from cocktail to kids’ menu. And since the world changes every day, your travel guide should, too. Our dedicated team of editors is regularly reviewing our library to perform updates on thousands of articles per month. If you see something that doesn’t seem up to date, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TripSavvy is part of the Dotdash publishing family. For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication.