Looking online for airfares to Greece? Knowing these International Air Transport Association (IATA) airport codes—those three-letter city abbreviations you see on luggage tags—for Greece will prevent you from booking a flight to Athens, Ga., rather than Athens, Greece (not that there's anything wrong with the Athens in Georgia). IATA airport codes are used to designate and differentiate airports worldwide.
Finding Your Right Airport
Airports in Greece usually have at least two "official" names. The first, and most commonly used, is usually the place-name with "Airport" or "International Airport" added.
The second gets a little trickier: It usually honors a famed local historical or mythological figure. This means that in a few cases, different airports may have similar names. There are two Odysseas Airports, two that begin with "Ioannis," and so on. Sometimes, these secondary names occur in two forms—the Greek form and the English translation. Before clicking "Book it," double-check that you're choosing the right airport for your destination.
Also, many codes used for smaller airports are similar and may not have an obvious connection with the name of the town or Greek island. Using JSI rather than JSY, or vice versa, will get you on the wrong island entirely.
Greece Airport Codes
- Also called Eleftherios Venizelos or Spata, Spada. Athens is also spelled Athina.
- More on Athens International Airport
- Also spelled Hania, Xania, or Khania.
- Also called Ioannis Daskalogiannis. Do not confuse with Ioannis Kapodistrias at Corfu (below).
Corfu Island: CFU
- Also called Ioannis Kapodistrias. Do not confuse with Ioannis Daskalogiannis at Chania (above).
- More on Corfu Airport
- Also called Nikos Kazantzakis. Heraklion is also spelled Iraklion or Iraklio.
- More on Heraklion Airport
- Also called King Pyrrhus.
- Also called Captain Vassilis Constantakopoulos.
- Also called Mega Alexandros or Alexander the Great.
Kefalonia Island: EFL
- Also called Odysseus, Ulysses, or Anna Pollatou.
Kos Island: KGS
- Also called Ippokratis or Hippocrates.
Lemnos Island: LXS
- Also called Hephaestus or Ifestos.
Milos Island: MLO
- Also called Afrodite or Aphrodite.
Mykonos Island: JMK
- Also called Delos or Dilos.
Mytilene (Lesbos) Island: MJT
- Also called Odysseas Elitis.
Naxos Island: JNX
- Also called Apollon.
Paros Island: PAS
- Also called Artemis or Panteleou Paros Airport.
- Also called Aktion and Lefkada.
Rhodes Island: RHO
- Also called Diagoras.
- More on Rhodes Airport
Salonica/Halkidiki: See Thessaloniki.
Samos Island: SMI
- Also called Aristarchus of Samos.
Santorini Island: JTR
- Also called Zefiros.
Skiathos Island: JSI
- Also called Alexandros Papadiamantis.
Skyros Island: SKU
- Also called Aegean.
Syros Island: JSY
- Also called Demetrius Vikelas.
- Also called Macedonia.
Thira: See Santorini.
- Also called Nea Anchialos or Volos Central
Zakynthos Island: ZTH
- Also called Dionisios Solomos.