Rattlesnake Bite? Here is What You Should Do.

Leave That Snake Alone. But if it Bites...

Western Diamond Backed Rattlesnake
••• Jeremy Woodhouse/Photodisc/Getty Images

Most people who live in Arizona never see a snake for their entire lives, except maybe at the Phoenix Zoo or Wildlife World Zoo. There are thousands of venomous snake bites reported each year in the U.S. But if you are unfortunate enough to be bitten by a snake, don't panic. It is rarely fatal. Especially if you follow these tips.

Don't know what kind of snake bit you? There are many varieties of snakes in the Phoenix area, some of which are venomous and some which are not.

The most venomous snakes that are the most dangerous to your health in the Phoenix, Arizona area are the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake and the Arizona Coral Snake (also known as the Sonoran Coralsnake). The venom from a Mojave Rattlesnake can affect your nervous system. Baby rattlesnakes are dangerous because they tend to try to release as much venom as they can to protect themselves.

Avoiding Venomous Snakes

  1. Avoid rattlesnakes altogether. If you see one, don't try to get closer to it or catch it. If you don't have a lens on your camera that allows you to capture the photo from a distance, don't try to get closer for that fantastic shot.
  2. Keep your hands and feet away from areas where you cannot see, like between rocks or in tall grass where rattlesnakes like to rest.
  3. If you see a venomous snake in your yard, leave it alone and call a professional to remove it.

Snakebite?

  1. Go to a hospital immediately. If you cannot get to a hospital, call the Banner Poison and Drug Information Center at 1-800-222-1222.
  1. DO NOT use ice to cool the bite.
  2. DO NOT cut open the wound and try to suck out the venom.
  3. DO NOT use a tourniquet. This will cut off blood flow and the limb may be lost.
  4. DO NOT drink alcohol.
  5. DO NOT try to catch the snake. It just wastes time.
  6. Look for symptoms. If the area of the bite begins to swell and change color, the snake was probably poisonous. For specific symptoms that may occur after being bitten by a snake, visit the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy.
  1. Keep the bitten area still. Don't tie the limb tightly to anything — you don't want to reduce blood flow.
  2. Remove any jewelry or constricting items near the affected area in case of swelling.

There seem to be differing opinions about whether a limb that has been bitten by a venomous reptile should be raised above the heart, lower than the heart or even with the heart. The general consensus appears to be to hold the extremity level with the heart, or in a position that would not make blood flow either up or down.

Medical Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a medical professional. The information provided here is intended to be a resource for education about local wildlife. Please get immediate  professional medical advice/treatment if you are bitten by a venomous snake.