01 of 11
Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine, Posh Relais & Chateaux in Spanish Wine Estate
Reasons to Choose Deluxe & Delicious Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
The five-star Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine is a gem of a getaway hotel in northern Spain's Ribera del Duero wine region. Opened in 2012, LeDomaine occupies a majestically renovated 12th-century Romanesque abbey where well-born monks lived.
• The hotel is a member of the deluxe France-based Relais & Chateaux hotel association.
• Top awards like TripAdvisor's #1 Hotel in Spain 2016 and inclusion in "50 greatest hotels in the world" in the UK-based Telegraph.
What Kinds of Luxury Travelers Steal Away to Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine?
"LeDomaine" furnishes an ideal luxury getaway for Brits, Western Europeans, and for North Americans. It appeals to upscale couples interested in luxury, design, history, food, wine, spas, and outdoor recreation.
What guests enjoy here:
• Superb dining at Michelin-starred Refectorio restaurant.
• An elegant spa.
• A setting amidst over 500 acres of vineyards, with all sorts of tasting opportunities, making it a mecca for oenophiles.
• The privacy and individualized service you get in a private-feeling boutique hotel with only 30 rooms and suites.
• In every way, everything you should expect from a true five-star luxury resort
Loving the Idea?
LeDomaine is two hours from Madrid by car and 90 minutes by train. Or you could catch a connecting flight to Valladolid, a half hour away.
Check LeDomaine's special offers online.Continue to 2 of 11 below.
02 of 11
Will You Like Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine?
Will Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine Be Your Best Getaway Hotel in Spain?
You will probably be pleased with Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine if:
• You love your luxury accommodation to come with a long and fascinating back-story (900 years of history here).
• And you will like the simplicity and perfection of rooms that were once aristocratic monks' cloisters.
• You appreciate truly five-star service from hotel staffers (plus generous touches like candy for the taking in reception!)
• You'd relish dining on delicious Michelin-starred cuisine in an incredible setting.
• You enjoy Spanish viños (fine red, white and rosé wines are produced right here).
• You want to be surrounded on all sides by beautiful nature for long walks and cycle rides.
• You will make the most of the vast spa and gym and indoor and outdoor pools.
However, LeDomaine it may not be for you if:
• You prefer the nonstop excitement of Spanish cities to the quiet solitude of its countryside.
• Or you like big, bustling hotels.
• You want a resort with a kids' club and activities (children are permitted, but not catered to).
• You want to be close to a major airport.
• You're thinking of a winter holiday; LeDomaine closes from mid-December to March 1.Continue to 3 of 11 below.
03 of 11
The Singular Style of Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
An Exceptional Resort with Extraordinary Style
Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine is absolutely unique in the world. Even guests who visit luxury resorts regularly are in for a one-of-a-kind experience.
The beauty begins with the setting. The resort is situated in the Ribero del Duero wine region of Castilla y León, famed for its delicious food and various wines.
• Surrounded by vineyards and bordered by mountains, the resort immerses guests in rural beauty.
Nearly 900 Years of Devotion
The hotel began life as the Monastery of Santa Maria de Retuerta, which was built in 1146. This medieval heritage has been maintained in the hotel, from the refectory restaurant to the cloister garden
• Opulent furnishings, lighting and climate control blend seamlessly with 900-year-old architecture.
• So much so, the hotel was given the EU’s Europa Nostra Award for conserving cultural heritage.
• The surrounding estate has been busy making wine for LeDomaine since at least the 13th century.Continue to 4 of 11 below.
04 of 11
Rooms and Suites at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
LeDomaine Is Truly Exclusive, with Just 30 Rooms
LeDomaine is a big property -- with only 30 rooms for pampered guests. The hotel offers 17 Classic Rooms of around 350 square feet, 10 Superior Rooms and three lavish suites including a honeymoon suite.
Top Digs at LeDomaine
At over 1,000 square feet, the classically-designed Master Suite is the top room option.
• It features a big bedroom. living room, marble bathroom, powder room, walk-in closet.
• Toys include two TVs and a Nespresso machine.
Features in All Rooms at LeDomaine
Every room offers tailor-made walnut furniture, a large bathroom with a soaking tub and walk-in shower, comfy beds with a vast choice of pillows, and soundproofed walls.
• The best feature of all? Endless views, even from the bed, of the surrounding vineyards.
Freebies and gracious touches abound
• Free wifi, bottled water, and a complimentary minibar with sodas and juices.
• Downstairs in the lobby, chocolates await.Continue to 5 of 11 below.
05 of 11
Private Butler Service at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
Do You Require a Private Butler? LeDomaine Is for You
Service here is absolutely five-star hospitality service. You will feel welcome and honored, but not smothered.
Butlers are the centerpiece of LeDomaine's service efforts. Every room at LeDomaine comes with a dedicated butler.
• This is the only hotel in Spain with private butlers.
• They sense what you want before you ask for it.
• One flourish appreciated by guests: unpacking and packing.Continue to 6 of 11 below.
06 of 11
Gourmet Dining at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
LeDomaine Is a Gourmet Destination
From mouthwatering breakfasts to Michelin-star dinners, the restaurants in LeDomaine are second-to-none.
The Headline Act: Refectorio Restaurant
Without a doubt, the big-deal dining experience at LeDomaine is the extraordinary Refectorio. Set within the medieval vaulted refectory (dining room) of the monastery, this is a dinner with potent atmosphere -- and food to match.
Chef Pablo Montero's Michelin-Star Cuisine
My wife and I were eager to sample this innovative Spanish chef's art. We chose the seasonal tasting menu.
• It kicked off with a fresh Gillardeau oyster from the Atlantic coast of France, served with a bright citrus-and-herb juice.
• Our favorite main course? Braised baby lamb with a sweetbread stew and seasonal mushrooms.
• For dessert, we relished roasted figs with almond praline, then the assortment of artisanal cheeses.
• Every dish served was not only a pleasure to taste but beautiful to look at.
• Get hungry for Refectorio's menus.
And of Course, the Wine to Drink is LeDomaine's
Refectorio's extensive wine list spotlights the property's own award-winning Abadia Retuerta wines. Some are grapes you know, and some are indigenous varietals that convey novel pleasures.
Outdoor Dining at Jardín del Claustro
In warm weather, the property's courtyard offers three meals a day under the Spanish sun (and shade umbrellas).
• The menu is fresh and seasonal.
• Choices range from salads to Iberian cured meat platters to traditional rice and grilled dishes.
Breakfast Is Served
Breakfast is served in Refectorio, where you’re treated to a basket of pastries along with your breakfast dish.
• Along with the strong coffee, your server brings you the morning news printed in your mother tongue.
For a Light Bite
The Santuario spa café serves light, delicious dishes that spotlight local produce and favors.Continue to 7 of 11 below.
07 of 11
Wonderful Wine Experiences at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
LeDomaine Is a Working Winery with Adventures for Oenophiles
At LeDomaine, you never forget for a moment that you are staying at a working winery and a very good one at that. Abadia Retuerta wines are known throughout Spain and amongst wine lovers.
Guests at LeDomaine have many opportunities to enjoy the estate's wines.
• La Cueva -- wine cellar -- that you can walk through with a staffer and arrange a tasting
• A great selection of wines at the hotel bar
• And of course on Refectorio restaurant"s wine list
Vinoteca: the Seductive Wine Bar You Were Hoping For
Set above the wine cellar, the romantic Vinoteca houses LeDomaine's private wine collection. Here, you can taste numerous wines and enjoy a meal.
• Vinoteca has a small but sumptuous menu of tapas and small main courses
• I can recommend the foie mi-cuit (like foie gras) with bread and sweet-and-sour beetroot
• If you love steak tartare, Vinoteca's is excellent, served with frites
• Desserts are tasty. I recommend the cocoa cream with orange, cardamom, and pine nuts
You Can Take It with You
At LeDomaine's wine boutique, you can buy estate bottles to take home. Many come in lovely gift packaging.Continue to 8 of 11 below.
08 of 11
Santuario LeDomaine for Your Body & Soul
Relax and Unwind at Sanctuario LeDomaine
The resort's place to unwind and tone up is Sanctuario LeDomaine, a wellness center with a great gym, pools, and a one-of-a-kind spa concept.
10,000 Square Feet of Mind-Body Indulgence
Opened in 2015, Sanctuario LeDomaine is a super spa.
• It's set inside the former stable of the abbey.
• And it's now one of the biggest hotels spas in Spain.
A Truly Unique Spa Experience: Vinotherapy
We all know that wine is therapeutic. But Sanctuario takes this truth to new heights. Its “vinotherapy” spa concept is unique and irresistible.
Other wine-region hotels offer vinotherapy, but LeDomaine's Spa Sommelier is an industry first. Here's what it was like when my wife and I visited Sanctuario.
• Under the Spa Sommelier's guidance, we blind-tasted three signature wines and decided which we liked most.
• Then we chose massage oils with similarities to our favorite vintages.
And Then, a Great Couple's Massage
After the wine tasting, we were led on through to the couples’ suite
• The suite has a private hammam and sauna.
• First, we were treated to a Pure Detox Wrap Experience, where we were scrubbed with sea salt and lemongrass, then wrapped in a cocoon of Spirulina micro-algae to release toxins and purify the skin.
• Following a shower, our second treatment was a rough but rewarding deep-tissue massage from scalp to toes.
• This was one of dozens of healing treatments and beautifying rituals performed at Sanctuario.
• See Sanctuario's spa treatment menu
• More about Sanctuario Wellness & SpaContinue to 9 of 11 below.
09 of 11
Fitness at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
How to Stay in Shape at a Resort With Michelin Dining?
Guests keep in shape at Santuario's state-of-the-art gym.
• It offers all the latest equipment by Technogym, TRX, Bosu.
• A Kinesis circuit takes you through the program with an on-screen instructor.
• Cardio machines feature custom music feeds.
• You'll also find studios for yoga, stretching, barre, and more.
Pick Your Pool
Sanctuario offers two relaxing pools.
• The small indoor pool is ideal for a dip.
• The larger outdoor pool is made for swimming laps -- and for lounging poolside.
Wellness & Spa Programme
Guests can opt for a fitness and wellness services during their stay. A program offers a fitness evaluation, daily training session, daily yoga or Pilates session, and more.
• Or you can book a trainer or meditation leader for sessions of your choice, in a private studio.Continue to 10 of 11 below.
10 of 11
More Things to Do at Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
The sun shines most days at LeDomaine, and there are lots of ways to fill your time. The hotel's concierges are eager to help guests discover this magnificent estate.
Hike and Bike
You can explore Abadia Retuerta's trails on foot or on bikes (lent free to guests).
• Paths criss-cross the hotel’s 1,730 acres of farmland.
Tour via Horse...or Helicopter
You can follow the same paths on a horseback trail, or get a bird’s-eye view with a helicopter spin over the property and surroundings.
Red, White, and Sparkling
Many guests come to LeDomaine with a love of wine and leave with a knowledge of it.
• The property offers winemaker tours around the vineyards, winery, and cellars.
• And you can also take a wine-tasting course (in English).
• If you’re staying at LeDomaine during the fall, you can be a part of the grape harvest.
In the Kitchen or Out on the Hunt
More fun stuff at LeDomaine: you can take kitchen lessons from Refectorio chef or watch the property's falconer hunt with the property's lightning-fast birds of prey.Continue to 11 of 11 below.
11 of 11
Connect With Abadia Retuerta LeDomaine
Find Out More About LeDomaine
• Visit LeDomaine's website
• Check its special offers online
• Connect via email email@example.com
• Like LeDomaine on Facebook
• Follow LeDomaine on Twitter
• LeDomaine on Google+ and YouTube
• Great hotel snaps on Instagram and Flickr
• LeDomaine's ecstatic TripAdvisor reviews
• Note: LeDomaine closes annually from mid-December to March 1
As is common in the travel industry, the writer was provided with complimentary services for review purposes. While it has not influenced this review, TripSavvy believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our Ethics Policy.